Ed Sheeran: Divide

Ed Sheeran: Divide

His third album is out and we are all freaking out.

17
Ed Sheeran: Divide
Wiki Commons

After spending a year on a self-imposed hiatus from social media and the public eye, Ed Sheeran returned to his fanbase with a new album, Divide. On January 6, of this year, Ed Sheeran dropped two singles: “Castle on the Hill” and “Shape of You,” announcing the release date for his third album on March 3, 2017.

Divide has been out for less than two weeks and we are all still freaking out. As usual, Sheeran has given us an album fully planned out, following his first two albums, Plus and Multiply in the order that he arranged in 2011. The ideas and messages of all the songs seem scattered and chaotic from ultimate love ballads to diss break up songs and even renditions for his family that feel like you are in an Irish pub. Nevertheless, all the songs are like drugs for my ears, but here are the songs that stand out the most to me.

Hearts Don’t Break Around Here

“Every night I’ll kiss you, you’ll say in my ear, ‘Oh, we’re in love, aren't we?’”

I promise I’m not crying while I type this. This is my favorite song on the album, although I’ve been saying that about every song. This song may truly be the winner of my love. It is so pure and sweet that it makes my heart have that weird love feeling. I hope Ed is head-over-heels in love and happy, even if it’s not with me.

Happier

“And until then I’ll smile to hide the truth, but I know I was happier with you.”

Well, I can’t say I'm not crying while I type this one. Happier stabbed me in the heart and made me feel all the emotions I’ve been trying to suppress. Thanks, Ed. It’s all about realizing your mistakes a little too late. When they move on from you, a lot happier without you. This is the perfect song to listen to while staring out the window and questioning all your life choices during long car rides.

Shape Of You

“Every day discovering something brand new, I’m in love with the shape of you.”

I’m changing from all the sadness to a club-bumping anthem of pick-up lines and attraction. Shape of You is just a fun, carefree song that is easy to dance to. We needed this nice break from all the love and heartbreak on this album.

New Man

“He wears sunglasses indoors, in winter, at nighttime. And every time a rap song comes on, he makes a gang sign.”

This song is Divide’s version of Multiple’s Don’t. The ultimate diss to a girl that betrayed him. I always say I want Ed Sheeran to write a song about me, but with my luck, it would probably be a song like this. I would still be thrilled though.

Supermarket Flowers

“Dad always told me, ‘Don’t you cry when you’re down,' But mum, there’s a tear every time that I blink.”

With all these upbeat songs, you thought I was going to leave out a few more sad ones? No way! This song will pull on the heartstrings of anyone because we all have parents and grandparents who we are watching get old and it often seems unfair.

Perfect

“When you said you looked a mess, I whispered underneath my breath. But you heard it, darling you look perfect tonight.”

Here’s a wonderful love song for! I took a Buzzfeed quiz and it told me I was going to dance to this at my wedding, that I assumed was going to be with Ed Sheeran. So now every time I listen to it, I imagine my wedding. Not a bad song at all to be dancing to with the love of my life.

Galway Girl

“She played the fiddle in an Irish band, but she fell in love with an English man.”

This song is my ultimate jam! I don't have a relationship with anything discussed in the lyrics but I feel like I can relate to all of it. I think it’s due to the fact that I want to do an Irish jig while listening to it.

Dive

“Don’t tell me you need me, if you don’t believe it. So let me know the truth before I dive right into you.”

If, for some wild reason, Buzzfeed was wrong and I don’t dance to Perfect on my wedding day, I hope I dance to this song. It’s beautifully written and is about being scared of falling in love. It’s a feeling everyone can relate to at some point in their lives.

I didn't have enough time to gush about all of Ed Sheeran’s new songs on Divide, so you definitely have to check them out on your own!