Banning Flavored E-Cig Cartridges Is Just The Latest Government Over-Reach During The "Vape Panic"

Why are adults being punished for the actions of teens?

17

Let me begin by saying that I am not a health professional and that the views in this article belong solely to me and do not reflect the interests of health professionals or health agencies.

In the last decade, vaping, or the use of vapor e-cigarettes has become a popular alternative to smoking cigarettes or other tobacco products. Vaping has helped smokers across the globe quit the harmful effects of cigarettes, and although the long term effects of vaping are still unknown it does seem to be a safer alternative to former options.

However, with the increase of E-cigs, specifically the Juul brand and it's variety of flavored cartridges, the market for these products has expanded from legal users to teenagers who get the products from either older friends and buyers or with fake IDs. Which is something teenagers are known to do with a variety of substances like traditional cigarettes and tobacco products, alcohol, and marijuana in legalized states.

So why is vaping causing this panic?

Since the beginning of the year, six people have died due to vaping-related illnesses of the respiratory system. The CDC says that 450 cases of lung illness possibly related to e-cigarette products are present in 33 states and the Virgin Islands. What media fails to add to these statistics is that the products causing these deaths and mysterious illnesses are ones bought off the street or made at home; off-market cartridges with THC or modified pens and devices. Buzzfeed released some theories on this "outbreak" and why it might be happening. The bigger concern is how our government is handling this information.

Trump wants to ban flavored e-cigs

Due to the young age of the average patient in this "outbreak", people are blaming the flavored variety of e-cig products. Juul has especially come under fire, with people saying their aim to get young children addicted to these candy-like flavors. This week, the Trump administration announced a plan to ban these flavors under the FDA. But who is this new prohibition really going to help?

It is not the fault of a legal consumer that children are getting these products.

Much like alcohol or even traditional tobacco products, teens want to try e-cigs because they're taboo and off-limits. Their being able to, however, should not affect a law-abiding citizens ability to purchase and use these products consensually. E-cigs are regarded as an effective way for smokers to ditch cigarettes loaded with toxins and have helped many people quit tobacco altogether.

The larger issue at hand is of education being kept from teens and young adults. As kids get older their parents naturally want to give them more independence, but that doesn't mean keeping information like the risks of substance use from them.

When I was in high school, I did smoke cigarettes. It wasn't the fault of my parents - they just genuinely thought I was smarter than to use tobacco. I can't help but wonder if other parents fall into the same trap - their kid is active and involved and would never use these products, so why even bring it up? Teens are a lot more receptive than they get credit for, and simple education and familial support can do things that a government ban could never do.

Government over-reach needs to stop

More and more we are seeing regulations and laws imposed upon us by the government. While laws protecting civil rights and the wellbeing of society are crucial, banning substances and focusing efforts on legal habits is not. Over 10,000 people have died from gun-related violence in 2019, but the government remains hesitant to introduce any constructive legislature on guns and tell us that bans don't work; 6 people allegedly die from vaping and now products will be banned.

From healthcare to taking care of the homeless, authorities take too much pride in trying to decide what's right for the American people and most of the time they're wrong. And we as citizens are taking too long to stop letting it happen.

While this new e-cig ban will likely either falter or be lifted after a few months, we are just starting into a new election cycle and can start taking control from our representatives. Take some time to research candidates who know their role and advocate for less government in our personal lives.

For more information on preventing government overreach, some of my recommended sites are lp.org and freedomworks.org, however, I also strongly recommend forming your own opinions on things and taking a constructive role in civic issues like the e-cig ban.

The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.