5 Easy Recipes For The College Students Who Need A Break From Dining Hall Food

Let's face it, sometimes you need a break from dining hall food. Here are 10 easy college recipes I would make if I had the time!

4765

Most college dorm floors have a communal kitchen for you to use, but they are often empty because of the convenience of the dining hall food and the need to use meal plan swipes. Notice how I said convenience and not tastiness.

Whether you're looking to decrease the budget you use on Uber Eats or eat healthier in general, I understand where you're coming from. If you're looking to impress your friends with your cooking or develop a hobby for yourself, here are some recipes for you!

1. Chicken Provolone

John's of Arthur Ave Pizzeria / Instagram

This recipe looks like the perfect lunch for when you're on the go or you have a bunch of readings to do and don't want to cook for too long, but want to eat well. This dish only requires chicken breasts, basil, provolone cheese, tomatoes, and of course some spices. If you're looking for an option without meat, trying replacing chicken with another protein source or adding provolone, basil, and tomatoes to your next unique salad!

2. Protein-Packed Avocado Toast

Carlys Eats / Instagram

Avocado toast has been a trend for a while now, but are you looking to elevate your taste buds with other ingredients? This recipe might be your new go-to for your favorite breakfast dish. You can really add anything that can give you a protein boost such as turkey or chicken, but if you like hard-boiled eggs, this one is perfect for you.

According to Healthline, whole eggs are among the healthiest and most nutritious foods available and are a great source of vitamins, minerals, and more! Add your choice of spices and toppings, such as lemon and pepper. You'll need extra protein to help you power through your classes, workouts, and mornings after nights out!

3. Chickpea Salad Sandwich

Budget Bytes / Instagram

To be honest, my mouth is watering just looking at A Couple Cooks' photos of this delicious-looking sandwich. With a 10 minute preparation time, what's not to love! With some bread, greens, chickpeas, mayonnaise, and optional hummus, you'll have this healthy recipe made in no time. You could make this in between classes or make the recipe with your roommate to have for lunch the next day!

4. 4 Ingredient Nutella Energy Bites

The Gunny Sack / Instagram

Let's say you have an 8:30 am class tomorrow and you already know you'll feel the consequences of pulling an all-nighter the night before. This 4 Ingredient Nutella Energy Bite recipe is for you!

OK, maybe Nutella is not the healthiest thing in the world. But with superfoods like oatmeal, chia seeds, and almonds, you're Nutella craving will be met and you'll have a great source of protein and energy to start the day! With only four ingredients and some satisfying making of the bites, you'll be done making this snack in no time. The only thing you need to do after is cool them in your refrigerator or freezer and hide them from your roommates!

5. Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Banana Nice Cream

Fit Foodie Finds / Instagram

Another sweet treat? Really? Yes. This sweet recipe just requires frozen sliced bananas, peanut butter, almond milk, and mini chocolate chips. You'll also need a food processor or high-speed blender, but even without one, you could definitely ask people in your hall if they have one or check in your communal kitchen.

You could also always just mash the bananas and mix the peanut butter with a fork and spoon. I always find myself craving something sweet while in my dorm room and by making a bigger portion of this recipe, this problem could be solved for at least a little while!

If you're thinking about cooking a recipe as a college student, I already applaud you. If you're looking for some motivation to cook, you could always go out with your friends to the grocery store and find the ingredients for an easy-to-make recipe! You could also do a bake off or cook off with your friends to see who can make a better version of the dish. The possibilities are endless!