The East Coast's Premiere Music & Art Festivals

Festival season is among us...

20

We may still be in the dead of winter but festival season is already creating a huge buzz. For years, California's Coachella has been viewed as the premiere music and arts festival and it seems that the east coast is now catching up to the west. It seems as if there is an endless amount of festivals along the west coast but the east coast festivals should not be overlooked.

First off, we have the Governor's Ball. The Gov Ball has been quickly gaining credit as a top tier music and arts festival. Last year I was lucky enough to see headliners like Drake and Deadmau5 and this year looks like it may be even better. Headlining this year we have Kanye West, The Strokes and The Killers. Joining these headliners are incredible electronic acts such as Jamie XX, M83 and synthpop duo Purity Ring. Featured on the lineup is also up and coming rappers Vic Mensa and Vince Staples among others and if electronic or rap music isn't your thing don't worry, the Gov Ball covers just about every genre. Catch the full lineup below.

Just a bit south of there, we have Camp Bisco. Headlined each night by the Disco Biscuits, Camp Bisco has become a festival you do not want to miss. Playing host to a mostly electronic lineup you are sure to get your fix of bass at Bisco. Originally held in upstate New York the festival has now been moved to Scranton, Pennsylvania's Montage Mountain, after a hiatus and an attempt to replace it with the failed Hudson Project. No lineup for this year as of yet but the dates have been set, mark your calendars July 14-16 is sure to be three days of nonstop fun.

Though we've already got some great festivals over here, Goldenvoice or the creators of Coachella have something else in mind for us. Coming to New York City's Randall's Island (home of the Governor's Ball) this is summer is Panorama. Goldenvoice originally wanted to hold the festival at Queens' Flushing-Meadows Corona Park but had trouble with permits and is hoping to one day call Queens home. But for now Panorama will be held July 22-24 on Randall's Island. Goldenvoice has given us a little insight into the festival saying, “The inaugural event will present three days of top tier musical performances, dynamic art installations, innovative technology, and some of NYC’s best local eats.” The idea of an "East Coast Coachella" is exciting to many people including myself but has left me wondering how this will effect other festivals. Will Panorama push the Governor's Ball to the back burner? No one can be sure but I know I'll be there to find out.

Of course these are not the only premiere festivals the east has to offer because in March Miami will hold it's annual Ultra Music Festival, Delaware will once again play home to Firefly in June or you can head up north to Montreal late July to attend Osheaga! No matter where you call home, there will be a music festival to attend.