Dystopia May Be Looming In The Near Future
Politics

Can Obama use his executive power to save wildlife?

11

Watching the mysterious tides of the sea -- from land -- and pondering its depth has been a ritual for humanity since the dawn of time. The synchronized swells splash against the shorelines, stretching for miles. A delicious and refreshing swirl of turquoise churns into foamy white as waves pound against the sea floor. Blues fade into bubbles as tickling tides waltz with the land. The undulating motion of the sometimes soothing, sometimes-stormy, ever-enticing ocean hypnotizes a man with its secrets. We marvel at its magnitude, shiver at its expense, and wonder about the multitude of beings that dip and dive in the deepest ripples.

These creatures who hide in earth's darkest depths are the unseen and underrated victims of the environmental predicaments leering over the earth. A haunting prediction taunts our future: earth's oceans could be fishless as soon as 2050, according to some scientists. As humans -- the prime suspects and perpetrators of global warming -- it's time we try to reverse the damage we've done to our earth.

President Obama has the power to implement huge, fish-saving legislation. Obama has the executive power to expand a National Marine Reserve in Hawaii to make it the largest marine reserve in the world. This would prohibit human interference with the unique ecology of the reserve. The Hawaiian reserve, named Papahānaumokuākea, is home to 7,000 species.

Though expanding Papahānaumokuākea would be a massive step toward resurrecting the environmental health of our planet, it will not be the end-all decision. Overfishing is only one of the infinite dangers plaguing marine life. Ultimately, it is our polluting lifestyles that are causing the most damage. Carbon dioxide emissions lead to ocean dead zones, a barren seascape void of oxygen and sea life. If our pollution patterns continue, we will run into the future sans fish and with an irreparable eco-system. While President Obama works on taking our nation's first steps into solving the environmental issues we're facing, read more here on how you can do your part.