Meet 'Dungeon Defenders 2,' The Best Game I've Reviewed

With a patch here and a bug fix there I believe that "Dungeon Defenders 2" will be the game that its fan want it to be… perfect.

16

Last week I wrote about the worst game I reviewed for websites, so it's only fair that I talk about one of the best games that I've reviewed as well. If you like what you read, go on ahead and try it yourself. The best part about the game is that it's free. That game is "Dungeon Defenders 2."

"Dungeon Defenders 2" is a role-playing tower defense and action game with a lot of depth to it. Unlike the first "Dungeon Defenders," this one is a free-to-play title, which means there are microtransactions, which we will talk about later. The objective of the game is to defend and protect the eternity crystal against waves of enemies. The game consists of 10 maps which have a difficulty of easy, medium or hard. The higher the difficulty, the better the loot.

The loot system in "Dungeon Defenders" is the main reason why I love the series in the first place. Any game that allows you to collect loot is always a plus in my book. The loot you receive is based on the class you go into battle with. The loot you receive also has its own certain stats and rarity, which you can upgrade using medals or coins.

Coins are the primary currency in the game that you can use for basic things like buying gear from the blacksmith or leveling up your gear. Medals are the secondary source of currency. With medals, you can buy characters, pets, shards and almost everything else in the game. To earn medals, you must complete a quest and daily missions. To me, it doesn't seem that unfair even though some of the medal prices for certain things are a little bit ridiculous.

Then we have the wallet eater, gems. As far as I know, throughout the game, you only start out with 200 gems, which gets you nothing. The only way to earn gems is to bring out the old wallet and spend spend spend. Gems give your characters a lot more quickly than medals, and they also allow you to buy costumes for your character class as well.

There are currently seven classes on the game to choose from. The free classes in the game are the Apprentice, Huntress, Monk and the Squire. The classes that you must buy using gems or medals are the Abyss Lord, Series EV2, Gun Witch, Lavamancer, Dryad and the Apprentice. Each class has its own unique set of skills and their own defenses for battle.

Now, the game did have a rough rocky launch seeing ERROR 2002 every time I logged in. This made the game nearly unplayable. Even when you were lucky enough to get in, you would get kicked out for server issues. This truly made me want to hate the game without a doubt. A few days later, I tried to log in and eventually, it worked.

Looking past all the server issues and the little bugs, the game is a blast to play. It's very exciting to see all hell break loose as swarms of enemies come from all sides and to see everybody scrambling trying to help each other out. The game is playable with up to four people online, and I would be lying if I said that I didn't have a blast.

The graphics are designed to look like a cartoonish realm with stunning visuals everywhere you look. Other than textures taking a while to load, the game looks perfect. Soundwise the game has a beautiful soundtrack that fits perfectly with the game, including while you battle against enemies. The main character doesn't say anything throughout the game, but there is a narrator during the cutscenes whose voice is very suitable for storytelling. The monsters also have their own unique sounds and don't really sound repetitive.

Nothing in this world is perfect, and with that, in mind "Dungeon Defenders 2" is a work in progress. I would like to imagine what this game could have been if Trendy had held onto it a little longer. But don't worry, with a patch here and a bug fix there, I believe that "Dungeon Defenders 2" will be the game that its fans want it to be… perfect.