'The Duchess' Reminds Us How Far Women Have Come

We still need to be fighting for equal pay and equal opportunities.

71
YouTube

The other night I was scrolling through Netflix looking for a late night movie binge. I couldn't sleep and was hoping that a fresh new movie could lull me to slumber. History has always been of interest to me, and one of my favorite actresses is Kiera Knightly.

Naturally, when I stumbled across the movie 'The Duchess' it was a perfect match. Yet, I had no idea what I was getting myself into, or the tears to follow. WARNING! If you have not seen the movie stop what you are doing and go watch it before reading any further. There are spoilers ahead.

I admired Georgina Cavendish, Duchess of Devonshire, instantly. She is an extroverted, quick-witted, and rebellious woman, and the people loved her for it. Some say one of the most influential women of the era. A gambler, fashionista, and notorious drinker she was not your typical Duchess.

Being fascinated by Georgina I even looked up her Myers Brigg, (which is an ENFJ in case you were wondering). Her personality along makes her increasingly intriguing. She was smarter than her husband, and heavily involved politically with the Whig party. Georgina was a fashion icon of her era. Outwardly, her life is much admired.

But her marriage and private affairs are where I realized the tragic life of many women during that time period, and the absolute powerlessness she had to change that.

Georgina Cavendish was discouraged from participating in politics and forced to stick to matters of her own affairs and being a good mother. She could never really chase after what she was good at. Motherhood was the only honorable position women could hold.

There was no opportunity to do anything else, and childbirth was dangerous and painful. After all that, she was disgraced for not producing a son, which was to no fault of her own.

There was no sexual equality. Men could cheat, women could not. The worst thing about this story is how unfair it seems. The Duke was able to have many affairs. Even before they were married he was having an affair with Charlotte.

Years later, Georgina realized she was in love with an old friend, Charles Grey. Desperate for true love and affection that the Duke had deprived her of, she secretly saw Grey. When the Duke found out he refused to let her see him ever again, or he would take away her home and her children. All while the Duke brought one of his mistresses, Lady Elizabeth Foster, to live in their home.

To further the sexual inequality, the movie implies that Georgina was raped by her husband. Marital rape was even accounted for until 1979, which was not long ago. In some states in America, sexual abuse in marriages is allowed.

For example, in Ohio, it is legal for a person to drug someone and commit sexual assault, as long as that person their spouse. This is unacceptable. Rape is whenever unwanted sexual acts occur, no matter if the person is your spouse. Sex is a two-way partnership.

God designed it, not so that men could dominate women, but so the two could become closer in partnership. When one person does not want it, there should never be any force.

Can you imagine having to face the man who raped you every day, because that man happens to be your husband? And in a land of no birth control, this also meant being forced into potentially becoming pregnant.

There was no chance of financial freedom or any freedom of that manner. In those days most women had nothing of their own. Georgina was given an allowance. An allowance? I haven't had an allowance since I was twelve years old. I am twenty-one years old and I am able to have my own job and buy things for myself. Women's inability to get divorces and gain monetary stability prevented Georgina from escaping the torture of her marriage and have a happily ever after.

The aftermath of the movie included me looked deeply into the story of Georgina only to find that the movie seems to flow with history extremely accurately. Even down to specific outfits and political cartoons of Georgina. Talk about heart-wrenching.

I keep replaying the movie over again with a different ending because I wish so badly that her life had been different and she could have the same opportunities that I have.

Unfortunately this true story is similar to a lot of untold historical tales. Woman have been left out of the equation. It is sad to think about all of the oppression that had occurred and is still occurring for women all over the world. Some we may never even know about.

This is why feminism is important.

Women and men have not always been equal. We have come a long way, but we are still not equal. Discrimination starts wars and stirs oppression. We need to be fighting for equal pay and equal opportunities always.

Discrimination will always exist but whoever is on the receiving end will change. That is why wherever inequality exists I will always fight against it.