What It's Like To Get A Driver's License At Age 20

Sharing my experience to show that not everybody fits the status quo

7451
Negativespace.co

Typically, a teenager around 15-and-six-months has received their learner's permit. This is usually the most exciting thing to happen to someone that age, until about six months later when they turn 16 and finally obtains their driver's license.

Well, when I was 15-and-six-months, I received my learner's permit after two painfully horrible attempts. However, by the time my permit expired the following year, I did not have my license.

A few months after I turned 19 last year, I took the test all over again and got my permit after two more painfully failed attempts. I think I wasted all three attempts before I got my permit at age 19, or I did two and never bothered to do the third. This year, in the middle of March, I got my license in under one week. I had just turned 20 years old.

After I got my permit the first time, there was a painful experience (not to be told) that deterred me from getting behind the wheel. After I got my permit the second time, no one seemed to have time to help me. Which is why my mom and I decided that over spring break, I would take driver's ed.

The place we found was great because they had their own cars (which had brake assistance), they picked me up from my house and taught me how to drive. The people who do registration told my mom that I scheduled the four classes back to back when they should have been one class per week. My mom explained to them that it was intentional because I'm a college student with only one week of spring break.

Anyway, the driver's ed teacher was very nice. My mom was impressed (she was tracking us on the Find My Friends app for iPhone). We were on the highway, doing lane changes, turns, parking, you name it. My biggest quirk was right turns, but I'm much better now. When I did a little more practice with my dad the day before my test, he was impressed.

The good thing about this driver's school is they test you, and if you pass you automatically go the DMV to get your driver's license. It is the only place in Arizona that has that deal. I passed the test, and I am finally a licensed driver.

When I told my family that I passed, they were all excited. I joked with my grandfather about the healthcare debacle, telling him that the only thing you can do in a week is earn your driver's license. My mom happily obliged with my request to not share this on social media. She will now know that the reason for that is because I wanted to share that on this platform.

If you get your license later than your teens, there is no reason to be embarrassed like I initially was. I know how it feels not getting your license as a teen like everyone else.

The reality is not everyone does the driver's thing right the first time. And if you do not know anyone who hasn't, you know someone now. It took me three tries to get my permit both times I went.

If mom or dad teaching you how to drive doesn't work out like it did for me, don't be afraid of saying you need driver's ed. Turns out, that was my method.

I did all of that to say better late than never and that getting your driver's license later than the normal is not bad.

From Your Site Articles