Summer Drive In Fun

8 Things To Pack For A Killer Drive-In Date

Everything you need for a fun, memorable trip to the drive in this summer.

69

As June progresses, we enter deeper into one of our favorite seasons, drive-in season. If you're from a small town like me, your options for summer activities are quite limited and you are absolutely ecstatic when your local drive-in opens for the summer. Below you can find the necessities to make this summer's trips to the drive in the best yet!

1. A Date

Whether you're gathering up your besties for a trip to see "Ocean's 8" or you've finally convinced your significant other to go see "A Quiet Place," some sort of date is pretty much required for this to be enjoyable. Unless you love sitting alone, in the dark, surrounded by other groups of people... yes, a date is definitely a good idea.

2. A Vehicle

You really can't successfully go to the drive-in without some mode of transportation, considering "drive" is literally in the name of the activity. However, there are multiple approaches to which kind of vehicle to take. If you're like me, allergic to everything and terrified of insects, you should probably choose the SUV option. Roomy enough to stretch out, but closed in so you're protected from the horror that is summertime bugs. Contrastingly, if you're a fan of nature and don't mind a couple of mosquito bites, I recommend acquiring a pickup truck (everyone has that one friend with a truck) and outfitting it with a super comfy air mattress.

3. Bug Repellent

If you chose the pickup truck option, this item is not optional for you. Some sort of insect repellent is vital for you to not wish you never left your house. I personally prefer dryer sheets to the typical make-you-sneeze bug spray, but hey, anything is better than head to toe itchy welts.

4. Pillows

Being comfortable in a car is not the easiest thing in the world, but an ample amount of pillows definitely makes it more attainable. Body pillows, neck pillows, memory foam pillows, you can never be too comfy!

5. Blankets

No matter how warm it is I still cannot be totally comfortable unless I'm under a blanket. Since it's normally 70 plus degrees during drive-in season, I typically opt for a nice quilt. Cozy yet cool enough to not make you miserable.

6. Pizza

This might be a southern Indiana thing, but I personally feel no drive-in experience is complete without a pizza. Pizza is so versatile that everyone in your car should be able to settle on one they like, whether vegetarian, vegan, or gluten-free. Plus, it's one of those foods that you enjoy hot or cold, so whether you get hungry during the opening previews or the ending credits, you always have a yummy food available.

7. Snacks

Whether you prefer to slice up some berries and apples or grab some sour patch kids and combos, snacks are a must for an authentic drive-in experience. Thankfully, these are pretty much always available in some form of a concession stand, in case you forget.

8. Drinks

Hydration is always important, especially during long, humid summer nights. Even more so if your snack of choice was super salty. Be sure to take an insulated water bottle to keep your drink cold all night!