Drinking Coffee is Not a Personality Trait
Food Drink

Drinking Coffee Isn't a Personality Trait

No, I don't drink coffee. Yes, I'm fine.

1553

I don't drink coffee and I probably never will. Don't get me wrong, it always smells amazing and looks appetizing but it's not going to be a part of my life, ever. It's not like I haven't tried it before because I have, but no, I can't and I will not get used to the taste.

I often get criticized, or sometimes get appalled looks from people because they simply cannot think of their lives without coffee. I have actually thought about starting to drink it during tough and long nights studying during midterms and finals, and I might have had a slight craving for it during my binge watching of Gilmore Girls, but I don't think it'll be a purchase I make in the future.

Even though the ratio of coffee drinkers is more than non-coffee drinkers, there are still people who "lack" a taste bud for coffee and I'm sure they've suffered from answering people's questions and judgments as I have. Questions like "How do you survive?" and "Have you even tried coffee?" and comments like "You just have to get used to the taste" or "I wouldn't even be awake if I were you" have been made countless times, and frankly I'm sick of it.

There are plenty of people who do not drink coffee in their daily lives and are perfectly fine. Frankly, I think it's a bit pathetic that people are so reliant on their two to three cups of coffee, sometimes even more per day and are judgmental of people who don't spend their money on a caffeine addiction.

I'm not trying to sound condescending or rude, but it most definitely is not a personality trait, which according to a lot of people I follow or come across on Twitter, it is. It's become such a large part of pop culture, that it is considered weird if you don't drink coffee just like it's considered weird if you don't look or think like most of the population or culture.

There are actually a lot of pros of not drinking coffee, definitely a lot more than drinking it, in my opinion, such as: You save a lot of time and money in the mornings; You don't have coffee breath; You may be tired in the morning but you're not addicted to caffeine; You don't sound like an idiot saying a mouthful of gibberish at Starbucks; And you have more money for food-or alcohol (a drink that's worth spending money on).

This isn't really an opportunity for me to rant, but then again it kind of is, but I think people are more than their coffee order, or their coffee addiction. Have more depth than that, people, and don't rely on coffee to alter your mood, or maybe go a day or two without coffee so you're not relying on it so much. The first step of addiction is admitting to it, okay?

What I'm saying in summary is to each their own with the things they like or dislike, just don't belittle people for not liking something that is a hugely a part of your life and don't let a liquid plant become a part of your personality. Okay thanks, bye.