If You're Judging What People Wear To Class, You Must Be A Hypocrisy Major

An open letter from the girl in sweats.

1024
Unsplash

So, I read this article yesterday.

I think you come from a good place. But caring so much about how someone else dresses and thinking how I dress diminishes my worth is actually the problem.

There is nothing wrong with taking pride in how you look. But there is something wrong with tying others' personalities to how they dress. As a girl who has always worn sweats, I think I see the world a little differently than you. Growing up around so many girls constantly paranoid about how "pretty" they were and what they looked like, dressing comfortably is a way for me to put my priorities in order.

Here is my reaction to each and every one of your reasons for me to stop being comfy in class:

1. You'll feel better.

There is nothing better than being entirely and utterly comfortable. When I start a day in my tennis shoes, not uncomfortable flats, my comfort will last all day when your happiness could be swept away with the next breeze that messes up your hair.

2. And have more confidence.

I feel stronger in comfortable clothing than in other clothing. When you are comfortable, you have confidence that if necessary you could do anything asked of you. When you dress simply, whenever you get compliments, they will be about who you are and not your dress.

There is no greater confidence builder than loving yourself in sweats when the world tells you that you can only be pretty in pink skirts and tight tops. When your worth and confidence is in yourself and not that new lipstick, great things can happen.

3. Class is actually important.

I agree that class is important. Much more important than any outfit. In class, there's no need to make sure your favorite t-shirt is hitting your body just right or constantly distract yourself by playing with your freshly curled hair.

I totally agree class is actually important, more important than what you look like.

Secondly, professors don't care what you look like, they care about your effort in class. That's their job. It's more important that you get there on time than spend the extra 10 extra minutes looking just right.

4. Unfortunately, people do judge a book by its cover

I totally agree. But the thing is, I don't care. I'm not the queen of England. I'm not going to be judged in my 200 person lecture. Class is not a fashion show. It's merely a game of survival. The thing is, no one cares in college about how you look beside people who you wouldn't want to be friends with anyway.

5. You'll always feel “on."

But if I need to run and catch that bus, you bet the girl in sneakers is going to make it.

6. You can use it as an outlet to express yourself.

I have always been the joggers and t-shirt girl. I embrace my deathly hallows baseball cap because it's just about as me as I can get. There's something amazing about people who have little accents about who they are in their outfits. It that for you is the newest trends, great. To me, it's in the little details of my favorite t-shirts that tell you where I've been and what I love.

7. You'll look less lazy.

Ya. I'm not saying you shouldn't change ever. I'm just saying changing into a different pair of sweats is better than yanking on jeans. I resent the fact you feel like I'm lazy. It's not like I resort to sloth mode depending on what I wear.

And I agree that everyone needs practice looking professional. But that's for days when you should look professional (like job interviews, internships, shadowing and every day in the "real world").

I agree that dressing nicely is important. But it isn't something I need to practice. I am fully capable of putting on pants, but I don't want to do it unless I have to.

8. Gym clothes are meant for the gym.

Maybe that is true, but there aren't invisible barriers that block you from wearing certain clothes in other places. If comfort and self love aren't enough reasons to dress comfortably, or at least let others dress how they like, here's another reason. At the end of the day, I am 50 percent more likely to turn around and go for a run after lecture if the only thing I have to do is drop my backpack off. And honestly, I need all of the motivation I can get.

9. It's just as easy to put on jeans as it is sweats.

That's true. So why not wear sweats? They're comfortable and awesome. It's also just as easy to judge others as it is to mind your own business.

So do yourself a favor, love yourself, and wear whatever you want while you still can.