Dreaming Beauties

Since I was a little girl, I often dreamt about dancing on a big stage. I would dance to almost every hot rap song on the radio! I remember pleading with my mother to purchase music magazines just so that I can rip them up and hang all of my favorite artists all over my wall. Watching Juke Box, MTV videos, and dreaming was my kind of life. The only issue I faced was that my mother was a single parent. She worked two jobs that consisted of working long hours just to put food on the table. Expressing to my Mom that I wanted to be a dancer was a big deal but she couldn't express to me that she could not afford the extra expense. Dance wasn't reintroduced to me until I reached adulthood and could be fortunate enough to afford the lessons on my own. I would never fault my mother because I now understand that there were little to no resources living in the roughness of East Baltimore.

Because of this, my passion is to make little girls dreams come true. I have meant so many beauties who are incredibly talented and want to dance but Mom can't afford the classes. Over the last few years, I was blessed to teach many kids in the Baltimore City area and introduce to them the joy of dance. It's amazing how much talent you come across just walking into a room. The sad part is that although I am much older, many single parents are still struggling today. I've meant many strong Mamas that knows deep down that their child is gifted and wants them to strive for the most but of course there are always funds involved. I decided to reach out to a few parents and let them know that I care and want to help put a smile on their babies faces! Many kids, particularly in urban communities, use dance as an outlet, art form, and a true escape from daily reality.

I kicked off a solo project and meant a few awesome dreaming beauties! My project will show the community that dance is needed during the school day and it is a must to obtain a child's full happiness. Dance during the school day would lift an extreme load off a parents shoulder and may likely help improve grades and subject study. I strongly believe that this form of art is just as important as physical education, soccer, and even basketball. My hope is that many public schools will embrace this idea or at least offer dance to the students without money being an issue.

I promised to not give up on this and fully support this idea! To my many dreaming beauties out there, don't ever give up. Keep dancing, keep smiling, and most of all keep dreaming.