DREAMers Are No Threat To America

DREAMers Are No Threat To America

I stand with DREAMers and you should too, don’t stay silent.

97

The recent talk all across America about the changes to the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) is very alarming and concerning to all of America. The changes that President Donald Trump wants to make and all those that agree with him will make a huge negative impact on thousands of hardworking people and impact many families across America. Not only do people like me think this is unjust, it’s also considered a huge step back for this country.

The DACA program allows “DREAMers”, children who were and are brought to the United States to receive a better/normal life, to grow up here and call it home, to attend American schools and play on their school’s basketball teams, to have careers that they have the skills for with the work permit granted to them. However they aren't given permanent immigration status but just a temporary stay and relief from deportation, which they can be reconsidered to renew every two years. This program began in 2012, which was founded by the Obama administration.

DREAMers are not criminals and they are not “illegal” because human beings can not be illegal. We all know at least one person being affected by these decisions in consideration. We work with them, attend school with them, they are many of them active in many military branches of the United States. They are people who deserve to be treated like you would want you or your child to be treated.

They contribute greatly to our society and to our own communities. When they are given a chance to attend high school, they are given an opportunity to receive higher education, that means going to college and being given the chance to start their own business or getting a good job. They contribute to paying taxes, just like American citizens do, they help bring in and increase revenues in our communities. They bring in much more, which is why it’s important to support them and to fight for them to stay. It’s important to understand that they work hard to live the life they live. We should not kick them out, but help them because they have a lot to offer this country.

Recently, in a response to the chaos happening, Obama said, “We shouldn’t threaten the future of this group of young people who are here through no fault of their own, who pose no threat, who are not taking away anything from the rest of us.” We should stand with the DREAMers and understand that they are no threat to America but they aim to help us make this nation great. They are our friends and family, whom should be treated equally. I stand with DREAMers and you should too, don’t stay silent.