How To Create Your Dream Closet On A Budget

Creating your ideal closet doesn't have to mean going broke.

139
https://unsplash.com/photos/ohWf6YuzOQk
Amanda Vick

Do you want to rework your closet but don't know where to start?

Here is a little guide I made with tips, links and my personal experiences, I hope this helps!

Know what you want.

Knowing what you want your style and/or closet to look like is the first step. For me, I find a lot of my style inspiration from social media. I would highly recommend following hashtags or style accounts that interest you. Seeing your desired style worn by others will help you visualize what it could look like on you.

I love minimal, classic clothing with a touch of color or a statement piece. If you're looking for inspiration, here is a list of some of my favorite style accounts on Instagram.

- miminalstreetstyle

- auratenewyork

- zoelaz

- givenchyofficial

- Chloe

- sezane

- versace

- gucci

Get rid of unwanted items.

Another important step to building your dream closet is to get rid of the pieces that no longer suite you. When going through your closet, you should consider both fit and style. If it fits but you never wear it or don't like it anymore, get rid of it. If it doesn't fit anymore but you still like the style or want to hold onto it for the future, consider getting rid of it, but ultimately it's up to you. Many factors come into play when something no longer fits but you still want to keep it, it's a tough call but I trust you will make the right decision.

When getting rid of your unwanted clothing you can do this in various ways. You could sell some pieces to help fund your dream wardrobe, donate them to Goodwill or a local organization, or give them away to friends or family members. Whichever path you choose to go down, try to make the clothes being put to use a priority. Just because you no longer like or need it, someone else could use it. Basically, I would recommend any way of putting your old clothes to use rather than throwing them away.

Shop at different places than you normally would.

Whether you are expanding on your current style or wanting to try something new, I would try shopping at different places. Especially when you are online shopping, I would put this rule to use. Many times you can find the style of clothing you want without having to pay high end prices. A lot of times smaller companies or businesses will try to emulate what bigger brands are doing. So, after you haven chosen a certain style, do your research on where you can buy clothes that won't drain your bank account. Look at department stores, small boutiques, thrift stores and sale sections. Sometimes high end brands will have sales or a really good clearance section. It takes some research, patience and a little luck but trust me, you can find the clothes you are looking for.

Choose quality over quantity.

This tip is subject to opinion, but it is personally what I go by. It is great to find pieces of clothing at affordable prices, but it is also important to remember that you get what you pay for. This is why I would recommend choosing to buy clothes at well established and positively reviewed places rather than cheap stores or websites. You might end up getting less clothing buying from nicer stores, but your pieces are more likely to last over time rather than shrinking after one wash. Like I said, you don't need to break the bank buying new clothes. You would be surprised what some nice stores will have on sale or in their clearance sections. I have found it is worth it to invest in good pieces rather than cheaper versions that will fall apart.

Start slow and build a new wardrobe over time.

After you have decided on a style, bought a few new pieces after doing proper research, I would take a break. Your dream closet will most likely not appear after one shopping trip. Learn how to use the clothing you already have in new ways while incorporating your recent purchases. Sometimes just wearing a shirt or dress differently will change the look entirely and you won't need to buy something new. This allows you to become more creative when putting together outfits and saving you money. You can create the wardrobe of your dreams, but it takes time so just be patient.

My favorite stores. 

Since I have shared my advice on creating your dream closet while avoiding going bankrupt, I wanted to also share the places I like to shop. I will include a mix of different places, some more expensive than others, but please remember sale sections do wonders!

- Urban Outfitters

- Dillards

- PacSun

- Ivin March

- Abercrombie & Fitch

- Macy's

- Madewell

- Goodwill

I hope you found this information to be helpful or at least got some new style inspiration. There's a lot that goes into wanting to transform your wardrobe. Just know it is doable with patience, research and using what you already have in different ways!