how to treat mental health

Buying a sketchbook is the best thing i've done for my mental health

They say a picture paints a thousand words.

48

Writing has always been my thing. I having diaries and journals dating back to elementary school. Even though all the words were spelled wrong I was still processing life events by writing them down. My thoughts, my journal, and my colorful pens have always been my place of solace where I sort out the swirly mess that I call my mind, but a new wave has come over me.

Although I still write (obviously because you are reading this right now), lately I have picked up a sketchbook and started documenting my emotions onto a book page. I am no skilled artist but being able to look at a page and connect with the emotions I'm having through a picture instead of words has helped me understand myself on a deeper level.

I stumbled into a 'Five Below.' If you've never been to a 'Five Below' before you're missing out. Everything there is $5 or less and they actually have like really great stuff. Anyway they had this beautiful marble covered sketchbook and my notebook obsessed self couldn't refuse, so I bought it.

I didn't realize at the time the effect this book would have on me, and maybe I haven't rid myself of the negativity that fills my brain everyday, but at least I understand it.

You may be curious of what lies in my sketchbook after all this talk, but my drawings are for me to dig deep into the crevices of my brain to see what's down there that causes my depression and anxiety and all the other things that are weighing my mental stability down, and like I said I'm not an artist. My drawings are good to me and I'd like to keep it that way.

The point of this post is to 1. brag about the steps I'm taking to become mentally healthier (I am also starting up counseling soon), and 2. to urge whoever is reading this to find something that helps them dig into their brain crevices. It may not be writing or drawing, but I'm sure there is something that will drive your brain to start turning its wheels and get back up again.