Drake And Future Summer Sixteen Tour Review

"As the curtain dropped and smoke began to fill the stage and the arena went dark the crowd knew it was time."

45
Alisia Saucedo

The Summer Sixteen Tour headlined by rappers Drake and Future made its way to Denver, Colorado this weekend for a two night event. The first night in Colorado was Saturday, October 1st then Sunday, October 2nd was the closing night. The Canadian native announced his tour after the release of his fourth studio album, Views. The tour was named The Summer Sixteen tour that began in Austin, Texas on July 20th and will end in Newark on October 16th. Originally Denver wasn't in the first set of cities announced on the tour stop, but eventually Colorado along with plenty of other cities and dates were added to the tour.

Drake is no rookie when it comes to touring and putting on a show for his fans night after night. Since the Grammy award winning artist is no stranger to Denver, Colorado it was no surprise that the crowd for this show was ready for Drake's first night in The Mile High city. The concert's setup was similar as it has been in his past shows with some of his main lighting coming from lanterns hanging above the stage and the crowd on the floor level.

The show opened with Roy Woods, who is signed to OVO Sound a record label co-founded by Drake. Some of the songs Woods performed included "How I feel" and "Drama." After Woods came Dvsn another artists signed to OVO Sound. At this point the crowd was ready for the main performance and seats were beginning to fill up quickly, but before the Drake and Future made their way to the stage the crowd was entertained with a DJ playing crowd favorites like "Famous," by Kanye West and "No Problem" by Chance the Rapper

The time finally came when it was time for the main performance. The crowd's energy was through the roof thanks to the performances and music prior to Drake. As the curtain dropped and smoke began to fill the stage and the arena went dark the crowd knew it was time. Drake opened his show with "Revenge" getting the crowd jumping around rapping the lyrics along with him. There was no doubt that Drake was feeding off of the energy that the audience was producing. During the opening of his show Drake mentioned he had his money on Denver to be the best show on his Summer Sixteen tour.

As the show went on Drake had plenty of songs to go through most of them being songs that got the crowd out of their seats and dancing. Drake began his entire first half of the show with a mix of his earlier songs satisfying his long time fans, and also included some of his more recent songs like "For Free," which was a collaboration with DJ Khaled.

In the middle portion of the concert Drake began "Jumpman," a song from his collaboration album with Future "What a time to be alive." Rapper Future then was introduced to the stage. Future, who was sporting a Colorado Avalanche jersey, was introduced by Drake as "The hypest person he knows." The crowd was not disappointed as Future performed plenty of his most loved songs including "I thought it was a drought," and "Wicked."

After Future's portion of the concert Drake returned back on stage to perform "Big Rings," and what better way for Drake to return to the Denver, Colorado stage other than in Superbowl MVP Von Miller's jersey.

Photo: Alisia Saucedo

The show just progressed from there with the lanterns hanging from the ceiling dropping up and down, creating the number 6, and Drake entering a moving platform that moved through the crowd giving everyone a chance to see the Canadian rapper. The 2 hour set was one of his bests giving the crowd a variety of music and a great time in general. The show closed with "Legend," and the entire Pepsi Arena cheering as Drake gave his goodbyes and Thank you's. Drake has been known to bring out special guests during his concert, unfortunately this wasn't the case for his first night in Colorado, but despite that Drake's first night in Denver was one that pleased many Drake fans.

Photo: Alisia Saucedo