Netflix's 'Dragon Prince' Is Just As Good As 'Avatar' — If Not Better

'The Dragon Prince' Has Just As Much Potential As 'Avatar: The Last Airbender' — If Not More

Someone had to say it.

120

Netflix recently released the first season of its new original series, "The Dragon Prince." As the animated series is the brainchild of Aaron Ehasz, writer and producer of "Avatar: The Last Airbender," it received a ton of hype leading up to its release date. And for the most part, fans were not disappointed.

But every time the series comes up in conversation, it seems to be preceded by this: "Well, it isn't as good as 'The Last Airbender,' but I liked it..."

This is a shame because, truthfully, "The Dragon Prince" has just as much potential as "Avatar: The Last Airbender" — if not more.

Of course, no one is going to think the first nine episodes are as amazing as the entirety of "Avatar: The Last Airbender." Given that the latter has a total of 61 episodes, that's not even a fair comparison. But given the opportunity to release more seasons, or "books," as the show calls them, "The Dragon Prince" is likely to exceed its predecessor.

In terms of worldbuilding alone, "The Dragon Prince" offers a lot. For starters, the lore and magic system have barely been touched upon. We've been introduced to dragons, elves and mages. We've seen a glimpse of what mages can do, given the right resources. But so much has been left open.

If the show is approved for a second season (and ugh, it had better be), viewers will be able to see just how far the writers can stretch the magic system. We'll be able to watch as Callum trains and grows his powers — and hey, maybe we'll even get a showdown between him and Lord Viren.

There's also the longtime feud between the elves and humans, one that's yet to be resolved. That in itself can open entire storylines, especially if the show decides to delve into the past and reveal what truly happened back then.

The characterization in "The Dragon Prince" has also already come so far in just nine episodes. The relationships between characters have grown noticeably, and many of them have already grown as people. Rayla is a prime example of this.

If the writers can manage that in one short season, imagine what they can do with an entire series to work with. And characters like Claudia and Soren certainly have great potential for character development, too.

So, "The Dragon Prince" may not be as popular as "Avatar: The Last Airbender" just yet, but I'm predicting that it will be. Netflix just needs to give us a few more seasons — hopefully, longer ones. Please?