How To Navigate Blackboard: For Dummies

How To Navigate Blackboard: For Dummies

Navigating college, especially online, is a whole different ballgame.

8
How To Navigate Blackboard: For Dummies

Blackboard is a website that allows instructors to create a classroom in a completely virtual format. This website/app is used in community colleges and universities all over. Many incoming students may become overwhelmed by the idea of learning on a new platform. Here are some tips to navigate and relieve some stress for your upcoming school year.

Download the app!

No matter what, downloading Blackboard to your phone is crucial. Having your post notifications turned on will help you stay on top of what is going on, whether you. notice it does or not. The app itself though has a lot of glitches, but it usually works for grade checking and viewing announcements.

Announcements will become your best friend

Ah, good ole announcements. The alerts that you hear in the middle of the night. Announcements are the main way professors with relay information to you throughout the semester. Some professors will put weekly to do lists in announcements rather than in a weekly module section, so stay on your toes and watch for everything.

Check your calendar

The calendar tab in Blackboard helps show you an overview of what you have to do in a color-coordinated fashion. This can be a helpful tool for creating your weekly to-do lists. Disclaimer: not all professors post assignments in the format needed for it to show up in the calendar, so pay attention and don't assume.

Tests and Quizzes

Due to recent events, almost all tests and quizzes are being done through Blackboard. Professors usually create a tab specifically for tests and quizzes where they will open them when needed. There is a start and end time for each test. Some may also be given time restrictions as well. Once a test begins it isn't able to be reopened.

Blackboard Collaborate

Blackboard collaborate is another version of Zoom, just simply through the Blackboard website. To get into a session you need to join session, rather than trying to simply begin. You can find collaborate at the bottom of each of your classes' tab section.

In times where everything is new, don't let the extra navigation trip you up. Blackboard can be your best friend or your worst enemy. Become familiar with the site and you will rock college.