11 MLK Quotes Every Single Person Needs To Hear

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

43
Unsplash

Through his powerful words, Martin Luther King Jr. shared his wisdom of love, hope, forgiveness, service, determination, and character. The following quotes give insight to how Martin Luther King Jr. viewed life, and I think all of us could truly benefit from learning from him.

1. "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."

2. "The time is always right to do what is right."

3. "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

4. "We must develop and maintain the capacity to forgive. He who is devoid of the power to forgive is devoid of the power to love. There is some good in the worst of us and some evil in the best of us. When we discover this, we are less prone to hate our enemies."

5. “Man must evolve for all human conflict a method which rejects revenge, aggression and retaliation. The foundation of such a method is love.”

6. “Let no man pull you so low as to hate him.”

7. “We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope.”

8. "If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward."

9. "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

10. "People fail to get along because they fear each other; they fear each other because they don't know each other; they don't know each other because they have not communicated with each other."

11. "Everybody can be great... because anybody can serve. You don't have to have a college degree to serve. You don't have to make your subject and verb agree to serve. You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love."

Martin Luther King, Jr. was the youngest man to have received the Nobel Peace Prize at age thirty-five. When he was informed of his award, he announced that he would give the prize money, $54,123, to the furtherance of the Civil Rights movement.