10 Reasons Why You Should Do The National Student Exchange Program

NSE is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

513
Daenne Dolce

The National Student Exchange program stands for its name, it is literally an exchange between two schools where the home institution (which is your home University) send students out to a host institution ( which is the University you go to). Almost all states within the U.S have NSE host institutions but students usually don't know about it ( if you are a student reading this, find out if your school is a host institution); NSE even has Canada featured (yes you can exchange in Canada). Some schools (Like Florida International University) do it based on invitation for automatically qualified candidates, but you can also apply to the program. To help you understand better, NSE is like studying abroad, but within the US (with Canada featured).

Here are few reasons why you should go on exchange.

1. IT IS CHEAPER THAN YOU IMAGINE

Yes, NSE is way cheaper than studying abroad. They have a plan where you don't have to pay any out of state fees and you just pay the normal tuition fee you usually pay at your home institution. If you get accepted into that plan, you can use any scholarships or grants that you normally receive at your home institution as well. However, if you decide to live on campus at your host institution, you will have to pay that directly to the school. But you still don't pay any out of state fees. You can live off campus if you find that cheaper.

2. YOU GET THE LIVING ON CAMPUS EXPERIENCE

If you are like me and have always been living with your parents and don't know what the living on campus experience is, YOU should definitely go on exchange. There is nothing like living on campus. I currently live in an apartment style dorm at the University of Louisville, and it is the best. I have a kitchen and a living room which is pretty cool. So you still get to be comfortable.

3.YOU GET OUT OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE

Yes!!! you do get out of your comfort zone. No matter how outgoing you can be going on exchange is definitely getting you out of your comfort zone.

4. YOU GET TO KNOW A NEW STATE

DUH!!! Of course, you get to know a new state unless you decide to exchange within your state, but what's the fun in that. If you decide to exchange within your state that is fine, but you want to experience something new. For instance, my home institution is Florida International University located in Miami Florida where it's summer all year long you can wear the same type of clothes all year long I'm not even kidding. So, it is nice to go somewhere which is completely different like the University of Louisville in Kentucky where you get to see the season change and finally wear all those nice fall clothes. I can finally say that FALL is pretty because I've experienced real fall here in KY. I greatly advise if you are going on exchange to go out of state.

5. YOU MAKE NEW FRIENDS

Whether you are outgoing like me or shy, you will make new friends that's a fact! So go on Exchange friends.

6. YOU GROW

Yes, you Grow!!!! You grow to levels you would never thought that you would. You become a "real" adult, you have to look after yourself, cook, buy your own pan, utensils, laundry detergent and everything else your parents usually have at home that you don't know the cost you will end up needing those. Most of all, you will learn to save because there is no mommy and daddy around to hand things to you or a really good friend where you can just go to their place to grab stuff. Most of all, you get to your "real" self better.

7. YOU CAN TAKE THE SAME CLASSES THAT YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO TAKE AT YOUR HOME INSTITUTION.

8.YOU GET TO HAVE FOUR ADVISERS

Yes, four advisers friends. One NSE adviser at your home and host institution and two major advisers from both institutions.

9. IT IS AN ADVENTURE

Every day on exchange is an adventure, so whether you are adventurous or not, go on exchange! it is for you friend. You will find something in your new state that your home state didn't have, so when I tell you the adventure does not stop, I mean it.

10. OVERALL, IT IS ONCE IN A LIFETIME OPPORTUNITY

There is nothing else like NSE friends, I just love it!!!

You should really visit http://nse.org and if you attend Florida International university https://nse.fiu.edu/ to get more information. I will be writing a new article on the steps to take to go to exchange and also one about my personal experience soon, keep an eye out for that if you or a loved one is thinking about going on Exchange.

Xoxo,

DD