The Dos And Don'ts Of Going To See A Horror Movie

You're welcome.

94
psu.edu

So, I have a confession.

I am probably the least adventurous person out there. As much as I'd like to be the kind of girl who would jump at the chance to go skydiving (see what I did there) or ride a roller coaster called the "Mind Eraser" or something, I'm just not. Basically, I'm a wimp when it comes pretty much everything. Well, pretty much everything except scary movies. Ok, I know they aren't bungee jumping or anything but I totally love them. I may be covering my eyes for half the movie, but it's kinda fun. So, when the sequel to "The Conjuring" came out, I knew I had to see it. Especially when I found out a dude straight up died while watching this movie. I chose the best possible night to see it (the night before my accounting test, which I had not studied for even a little bit) and enlisted a friend to come with me. From trying to find someone to go with me, I've learned it's not as easy as you'd think to find someone who even likes scary movies.

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

Might I add the review session was the one for my accounting test the next day. Oops.

So, if you've made it as far as to find someone to go with you, I've put together a few Dos and Don'ts for those attempting to go see a horror flick. You're welcome.

DON'T go to a scary movie on a date.

When you're at a horror movie, all bets are of. Seriously, it's really difficult to portray the "I'm chill" vibe when you sit there weirdly squinting so you don't see the ghost pop out at you for two hours straight. Also, nothing says "low maintenance" like the death grip you will undoubtably have on your unassuming date during the scary parts. The stress sweat you may or may not experience will only add to the romance.

DO bring a friend who would be ok with you accidentally punching them in the face during a scary part (true story).

As long as you don't give them a bloody nose, they will probably still like you. If anything, at least bring someone you're comfortable enough with to bump heads with when you both look away from the screen (another true story). Alternate title for this article: "How 'The Conjuring 2' Gave me a Mild Concussion."

DON'T sit directly in front of other people.

They will laugh at your weakness. They will laugh harder when you jump out of your seat and not so discreetly scream.

DO consider pre-gaming.

What? It can help you get through an awkward date, a sporting game you have no interest in or a mandatory seminar on the dangers of alcohol abuse (kidding) so let it help you get through "The Conjuring 2." I'd suggest turning the movie into a fun drinking game in which you take a sip of your drink every time you cover your eyes (which, if you're like me, is approximately half the movie).

Hopefully these tips will help you survive a horror movie. And, if not, my only suggestion would be to incorporate a little more of my last "DO". In that case, I'd suggest calling an UBER home.