Do's and Do Not's for Book Tours and Events!

There are rules for music tour lovers- there are rules book for book tour lovers!

22
Leslie Ann McClain
  1. DO thank the author(s) and sponsors for the event! These people work days and night so you can have the best experience at this event and even future events. Make sure they know you appreciate them and the hard work they have put into the tour!
  2. DON’T spill spoilers!!! If you’re at a book reading/tour and the book is fairly new and/or already released to the public do not spoil it for those who haven’t had the opportunity to be able to access and read the book quite yet. DON’T BE THAT PERSON. YOU WILL BE DISLIKED AMONG THE READING COMMUNITY!!!
  3. DO turn off your cell phone and other electronics or at least turn them on silent and/or airplane mode. Don’t disturb those who want to be there just as much as you, or if you don’t, don’t disturb them anyways. Turn it off or on silent, then double check to make sure it’s off.
  4. DON’T be gabby when it’s your time to have your book signed. I understand you have questions, and sure if your question can be answered with a simple sentence or word, go ahead and ask. However, do not continue to talk to 10+ minutes. There are a billion people behind you waiting to have their book signed as well. Be courteous.
  5. DO have something to ask/say to the authored when it is time for your book to be signed. Like previously stated, keep it short and sweet- but do remember this may be a one in a chance lifetime opportunity for you- MAKE IT WORTH SOMETHING!!! Don’t ask “do you like pizza?” Unless you’re talking to John Green.
  6. Added onto the end of #6, DON’T ask crappy questions. At the recent John Green book tour for his new arrival “Turtles All the Way Down” held at Agnes Scott College I asked John if “he wanted each of his books to stand alone or if he had plans to build a body or work with common connections between each book?” Our of like 1000 questions he actually answered it. He said no, a more in-depth answer will be in a later article but not today, sorry!!! The most common question asked to authors is “Where do you get your ideas from?”. They hear this all the time- be creative with those questions of yours.
  7. DO purchase the soon to be signed book in advance if you can. Also, if you can- purchase it at the bookstore/hosting event at which the tour is being held (unless you already own this book), this makes sure you have a great copy and you’re supporting your local bookstore which is always a good thing!
  8. DO arrive early. I arrived 3 hours early, and left my house 7 hours early (it was about 2.5 hours away) to the TAtWD event with John Green. I’m so happy I left as early as I did, I got a kick ass seat and was able to not stand in line as I got to sit down and read for the three hours my boyfriend and I spent waiting. Also, we gotta AWESOME parking.
  9. Last, but certainly not least,DON’T bring a ton of book to have signed or a ton of stuff period. More than likely seats will be tight and packed and the author won’t have time to sign all the book you wish to have signed. Sure, no prob in bringing a book or two extra to have signed- but please don’t bring the entire 7 book series and then some. You’re bound to get dirty looks and glares-including from me.

I hope you enjoy the event you’re preparing for by reading my advice active for book tours! Please enjoy and even feel free to leave a comment about your favorite authors, tours to follow, favorite book titles, or even more advice!!!

XOXO, Les.