The Truth About Rice Hall

It's Mississippi State's version of that creepy old house at the end of your street that should've been knocked down years ago. I'm sure some State alumni may be reading this thinking "Rice is still around?!" Yes, she's alive, but not necessarily thriving. For those of you who don't know Rice, for some reference, when my mom heard I had friends living there she gave me a bewildered look and told me that's where she lived her freshman year 20+ years ago and it had a reputation of being dingy and worn-down even then. The rumors surrounding Rice have been circulating for years, and many people who weren't blessed enough to get to experience it themselves often wonder how bad it really is. Luckily, I've got a group of girlfriends who've been initiated into college life with the exclusive Rice experience. Readers, meet Iris Linderman, Madeline Brock, Claire Allen, and Madison Martin. They're about to give us the piping hot tea.

What was your first impression of Rice?

Iris: "Can I be honest? It reminded me of a big 'ole prison."

Eloquently put, Iris.

Madeline: "My first impression was that it's old and gross."

Claire: "I hated it. I was so mad I wanted to switch schools."

Madison: "My first impression of rice was 'omg this is going to be awful how do I get out?'." (English majors please don't come at me about that punctuation use I don't know what I'm doing ok)

The general consensus of the first impression seemed to be prison-like, ensuing panic and a feeling of the need to escape. Homey!

Why do you think Rice got such a bad reputation?

Iris: "I think Rice gets its bad reputation because of how old it is. Honestly, I'd say it won't be too much longer before they really do have to tear it down."

Madeline: "It's the oldest dorm and it's traditional."

Claire: "I think the reputation is just due to it being old. It has many nicknames around the campus that don't help either."

For moral purposes, I will not be including these nicknames. :)

Madison: "It's very old and all the nicknames. Plus the cops coming to do hall checks so much probably doesn't look good to people who don't live there."

Have you noticed any true health concerns or hazards in the building?

Iris: "I'd say the biggest concern I have with Rice health-wise would be the heating and air system. When it's cold, it's freezing. When it's hot, it's unbearably hot."

Madeline: "No. The custodians clean the bathroom and showers 1-2 times a day and everyone is respectful about cleaning up after themselves."

Claire: "For a while, we didn't have hot water. Luckily they fixed that!"

Madison: "I haven't had any health concerns besides cold showers and hot rooms."

What's your most/least favorite thing about living in Rice?

Iris: "My favorite part would probably be the community setting because I've made some really good friends in our hall."

Madeline: "My least favorite part is the water pressure in the showers. My favorite is not having to clean my own bathroom or buy toilet paper and the sense of community."

Claire: "My least favorite thing is that the rooms are very cramped. I barely have any room. my favorite thing is definitely all the people I've met."

Madison: "My least favorite part is that it's old and not very cute, but my favorite part is the community and everyone talks to everyone and is super nice."

Do you regret living in Rice?

Iris: "I chose to move from Cresswell to Rice, so no, I wouldn't say I regret living here. It's definitely not the nicest place to live, but for the most part, I've enjoyed it."

Madeline: "No, but I wouldn't do it again."

Claire: "No. If I didn't live there I wouldn't have met some of my very best friends!"

Madison: "I don't regret living in Rice because that's how I met all my best friends!"

Overall, Rice is old and gross and grimy and, frankly, no worse than any other older dorm on another college campus would be; plus, roughing it in an old dorm hall is kind of supposed to be part of the freshman experience, right? (I know, easily said from someone who doesn't live there but it's sort of true) I personally have loved the community aspect of Rice every time I visit my friends. Rice is our friend groups meet up spot. It's where we all continued to stay close after high school, where we've sat up and laughed for hours on weeknights when we know we have 8 am's the next morning, where people keep their doors open for whoever wants to come to sit and hang out. I really like that about Rice. So, no, Rice is certainly not the ideal living place for anyone, but it's also not as bad as its reputation makes it out to be.