Don't Wait For January 1st To Start Your New Year's Resolution

Don't Wait Until January 1st To Start Your New Year's Resolution

You have the ability to change your life every day.

317
Maggie joyce

As 2018 comes closer and closer to its end, we are all reminded of those New Year's Resolutions we have been trying to adopt for the last 5 years that never seem to stick.

I'm here to remind you that you can begin those resolutions today. You don't need to wait until January 1st.

Something about the clean slate of a brand new year is enticing, and quite frankly, a bit daunting. A whole 365 days ahead of you, full of change, trials, tribulations, happiness, heartbreak, and other assorted experiences you may have never expected. Having that small piece of control over the uncontrollable is what makes New Year's Resolutions seem so opportune.

Unfortunately, your resolution to start going to the gym won't change what lies ahead of you for this year. Well, in some ways, like muscle gains and fat loss, perhaps it does change your situation. Perhaps your mindset and motivation will change. But, guess what? Those changes don't magically come because a new year began. They came because you made those changes yourself.

Every day should be a new opportunity for a New Year's Resolution. How about we replace it with New Day's Resolution? Maybe not quite as special, because who wants to say "Hey, my April 6th Resolution is to stop overthinking!" But, the sentiment remains.

We only have a month left of 2018. That's 31 days that lie ahead, each one presenting a brand new opportunity to change your life in all the ways you've been wanting to for years. Why not start with December 1st? Or 2nd, or 3rd

Of course, I know this is easier said than done. Trust me, so many resolutions, not just New Year's, have gone totally out the window for me. Full disclosure, I tend to give up when I'm not immediately good at something the very first time I try it. Toxic? Yes. Maybe that'll be my New Day's Resolution.

Now, by posting this article and telling the entire Internet about my resolution, I am actualizing it. I'm now not only responsible for myself, but everyone who reads this will now be holding me accountable. (Unless there are viewers who simply clicked on this article without reading down this far). For me, I feel a brand new pressure to change what I said I would change since I have more than one set of eyes watching me. Posting about your resolution, or even telling your close friends and family, may help you feel more responsible for following through with the change.

As scary as this sounds, you know you want to make this change.

You've either acknowledged it verbally, or mentally, or in written form. But change is scary. We inherently don't adjust to it well at first, as our bodies quite literally run on the same routine for years. But, make a choice each day, and it will quickly turn into a habit. Put the pressure off of the entire year of 2019, and start your resolution a few weeks early.