Don't Take These Little Things For Granted The Next Time You Visit Home.

10 Things to do while you're home for the summer that you can't do during the semester

69
google images

Excited to be going home in 3 weeks? Me too! Here are all the things you can do now that you will be living at home again. On your next break from college, don't take these small things for granted.

1. Eat Healthy

The number one thing that makes me unhappy at school is that there are little to no healthy food options in the cafeteria — at Sacred Heart and college campuses all over the country. Nothing is like your mother’s home-cooked meals, and the food at college is not even close. The meals have extremely low quality and are full of grease and calories.

2. Sleep in your own bed

Everyone always feels better after a good night sleep in their own bed. No roommate to interrupt your sleep, or construction across the street, or drunk kids coming back to campus late at night… or should I say early morning.

3. Not share a room

Even if you are best friends with your roommate, or mortal enemies, it always feels better to come home and have time to yourself in your room. Everyone needs a place that they can go to that is all theirs’ that they can be alone in, and that is extremely hard to find on a college campus.

4. Cook your own meals

Having the freedom to cook your own meals is one of my favorite parts of being an adult. You have total artistic control of what you want — exact ratios, brands, and flavors. It is also easier to eat healthily when you are cooking your own meals, and you can control your portions and sizes.

5. Spend time with your family

Many college students deal with homesickness, especially in their freshman year. It is a big adjustment from seeing your parents and siblings every single day in high school, to only seeing them once a month or less on visits and weekends.

6. Play with your dog

There is a strict no-pet policy on almost all college campuses, excluding service dogs. This can be hard on kids who are also used to playing with their pets every day and raising and training them. As the saying goes, a dog is a boy’s best friend.

7. Take a relaxing bath

As someone who normally takes baths instead of showers, college has been rough in that department. At the end of a long tough day, all I want to do is lay down in a nice hot bath, with lavender epsom salts. But when I came back to my dorm room, what awaits me is a slimy shower that thousands of other kids have used.

8. Watch prime time television

As someone who tried to save money by only having Netflix on my laptop instead of buying a TV with cable, take my word and get a TV. Netflix shows get old quickly, and it sucks not being able to see shows when they air or having to wait for TV stations like the CW or ABC to post episodes on their website.

9. Not share germs with thousands of other kid

It was so simple living in my house in high school because if I got sick, I knew exactly who I got it from. But in college, kids have terrible hygiene and touch everything with their dirty hands. I am looking forward to escaping the millions of germs that college campuses carry this summer.

10. Exercise outdoors

If you attend college in a city or urbanized area, it can be hard to feel like you ever experience time in nature or breathe in fresh air, especially if you don’t have a car on campus. And we all know Ubers can be expensive if your destination is far or if you are paying by yourself. This summer, take a nice hike or bike ride in a nearby park, and appreciate all the things that you can do at home that you can’t do during the semester.