I Don't Regret My Tattoos

I Don't Regret My Tattoos

13
I Don't Regret My Tattoos
Wordpress - Why get a tattoo - Jen Carroll

My decisions on getting tattoos has been the one thing I have constantly had to defend even though it’s been two years since I got them. I have always wanted to get tattoos because I think tattoo work is art. It can be beautiful, powerful, intimidating, or meaningful.

There are so many reasons why someone would choose to get tattooed. They might want to pay tribute to someone they loved and admired or because they love how tattoos look on their skin. Whatever the reason a person has for getting tattoos, I do not think one should spend time justifying their actions to people who constantly ask for a reason.

As for me, I am constantly asked by family or friends why I would put something permanent on my skin. It is aggravating when I answer the same question over and over. I chose to get tattoos because I wanted to. I didn’t have any particular reasons for getting mine other than I wanted to have some. When I went into the shop, I was still undecided. It wasn’t until the artist helped me play around with some ideas that I decided what I wanted. I got a quote about the beach and a palm tree. Sounds so simple, right? How could a palm tree possibly hold any meaning?

Well, it does hold meaning to me. It’s a little reminder of home when I am far away. I love San Diego with all my heart and a quote about the beach and a palm tree was the perfect way to pay my tribute to the place the I was raised in. I fell in complete love with my tattoos. Of course, I knew as soon as I got these tattoos it was going to cause some uproar at home. As soon as I got them, boy did some people rip into me. They called me irresponsible and told me that I wasted good money on something that only made me look ugly. I was also told that my tattoos could prevent me from getting a job that has higher standards.

First off, I didn’t waste good money. I spent my money well. I got what I wanted and I was happy with the results. In my opinion, spending money on drugs and hookers is a waste, not getting a tattoo. Secondly, I understand that certain occupations don't particularly like tattoos on their employees, but I’ve met kind people with tattoos who are good at their professions. Their tattoos didn't stop them from working hard.

Another thing I had to battle was the idea that I was no longer a lady because of the ink on my skin. I was deemed unladylike because of my tattoos. What’s unladylike to me is that there are women who sit there and judge others because of something on their skin. I want to make this point, my tattoos don’t define me one bit. I define my tattoos. I define who I am by what I do and how I act. My tattoos don’t act for me. Gang members who are covered head-to-toe in tattoos aren’t bad because of their tattoos. They are bad because of their actions and their morals, not because they have ink on their skin. While there are offensive and vulgar tattoos out there that do offend others, the individuals who choose to get things like that tattooed on themselves will forever live with those consequences.

I’ve seen beautiful tattoos on men and women that I envy. I wouldn’t cover myself in tattoos because that’s my preference, but I can’t help but admire women like Kat Von D. I wasn’t drunk or stoned when I went into the shop, I was of sound mind and health. Granted, I got a little push from some people, but it was because I was so nervous and worried about what my family and friends would think. I realized that it was stupid to care so much.

Despite what many tell me, in thirty years, I won’t regret getting tattoos. I'll be proud that I got something with the money I worked hard for. In fact, I would like some more and I can’t wait what I decide on getting next.