not having everything figured out

It's OK Not To Have Your Future Figured Out Yet, College Is What You Make Of It

Don't worry about having your entire life planned out like everyone else "does"

72
Jake Lucareli

Going into my sophomore year of college has been an eye-opener. I've had tons of thoughts about what I want to do, but I haven't exactly figured out what EXACTLY I would like to do with my future yet. It's tough because I'm halfway through my college career, but I am still trying to figure out so many things.

College can be an intimidating thing. It is literally a new chapter of your life that you're beginning, and it's scary how many people expect you to have everything figured out right away. It doesn't help when 95 percent of the people you meet also have their ENTIRE lives planned out. What's funny though is those same people who start their freshman year of college saying "I'm going to be pre-med and then live here and do this" and blah blah blah, well they actually are most likely going to change majors at least once. Students are often given this misconception that you have to have it all figured out right from the start, and take a specific path to get there. I'm still undeclared and I used to feel bad about it, but I don't anymore. There are so many amazing careers out there and paths I can take to get to each and every one.

Students need to know that it is okay to go into college not knowing what you want to do, and then be partway through and STILL not know exactly what it is. We all have a journey that we need to take to discover ourselves and discover what's most important. I began college as a freshman thinking that it would be easy, I could party all the time, and the people you surround yourself with don't matter. Now, a year later, I've found my passion and have set a goal, and I'm still not entirely sure how I'm going to get there! BUT it is okay, everything will fall into place. At least that's what my mother likes to tell me!

I know it's tough to try and have your identity figured all out to begin college, but don't force it. We all have to take this sort-of spiritual journey and discover what it is that truly matters to us. And sometimes that takes longer than 6 months! I really just hope that whoever is reading this can take a breath and tell themselves that it'll all be okay. And there isn't anything that you cannot do. Like seriously, it sounds so cheesy, but nothing is impossible. College is what YOU make of it, so choose wisely and take the journey to find your identity.