I Don't Plan On Using My Degree

I Don't Plan On Using My Degree

And that's okay.

78
I Don't Plan On Using My Degree
Daniel McLain (USN)

"But what does that have to do with your major?"

Many of us have probably heard this quote from somebody at some point. You spend four or so years working on a degree, then suddenly you see it: a new job/program/business venture that takes that path you blazed down and turns it ninety degrees into some random new direction. You mention it to a friend or family member, and the "but your degree!" topic inevitably comes up. Suddenly you start questioning things.

Well, you shouldn't - at least not anymore than you would question any other life decision. I haven't worked directly in my field once since college, and honestly, I probably never will. It may sound like heresy, but the more I continue to develop my career, I'm starting to see that it makes perfect sense. It's completely fine to not work in the same field you studied in college, and there are plenty of good reasons for it:

1. Life is dynamic.

On an abstract level, the idea of "stay with your degree program" pretty much sees life as something you wind up, set, and then sit back and watch it go. In reality, that's simply not the case. You're not along for the ride; you're actively driving the car on an ever changing road trip that ultimately might not even have a destination. Things change. I have a bachelor's degree in aerospace science and my graduate program is in digital marketing. Why? Because I discovered that I enjoy it.

Besides, doesn't it seem short-sighted to ask someone to set a path at age 18 that they are committed to for the rest of their life? The job I have now is a job I didn't even know existed a few years ago. That's how life is, and it's pretty sweet.

2. It's not just a field of study.

I once applied for a job that had a minimum requirement of a bachelor's degree (I also ended up rejecting the offer, but I digress). Beyond that, there were no real formal requirements: it wasn't limited to a particular field of study. Would some programs have more relevance than others? Absolutely. But a degree is not simply a checklist of technical skills in a particular field; it is proof of a certain level of discipline, commitment, and analytical thinking.

I've also seen police and fire departments offer higher pay scales based on education, and even the Army can lock-in a direct enlistment as an E-4 with a bachelor's degree. Want to guess what your major has to be? Simple: it doesn't matter.

3. It's a starting point

This is pretty similar to the reason above, but a degree is not an end-game. I once saw a Facebook friend of mine post about how he's changing his degree a semester or so before graduating and it would set him back for two years - I (and many others) promptly told him it's a bad idea. Earlier on? Absolutely. But if you're that close? No way man. You're not capped off after graduating. Graduate certificates are a thing (I'm currently pursuing one in a 100% entirely unrelated field), and even going back to get a different degree is also a thing. I'll say from experience though; it sure helps having the first one.

By the way, if you think it's hard to switch fields, you're not entirely wrong - but it's not as bad as you think either. You know how many people have looked at me skeptically for applying for a job with an unrelated degree? A lot. They thought I was a flight risk. Regardless, I still made it work. Just takes some careful and sincere articulation. Besides, more and more employers are beginning to realize that not everybody stays in the same field forever. Times are changing.

4. A contingency plan

I've never once in my life had to use my seatbelt, my reserve parachute, or the handgun I carry. Hell, I've never even had to use a fire extinguisher (outside of a training drill) either. In an ideal world, I really don't plan on using any of those things. That being said, I'm glad I have them, and I don't see it as a waste.

5. I didn't invest for a particular field or job

Out of all of the typical "in denial" reasons to stick with a field you don't like, the "But I spent so much time and money into this degree" one is probably the dumbest. You didn't spend all that time and money to become an accountant/attorney/broker/analyst; you did it for the opportunity to improve your life and make you happy. Ultimately, that's what education is for. We get so caught up in specifics that we forget the bigger picture. People think that doing something irrelevant but being happy for it is somehow throwing away everything they once did, and yet that's not the case at all. If you live a miserable or unhappy life, then everything you worked so hard for is now for nothing. I work alongside engineers, accountants, and business professionals who decided to pursue an entirely unrelated job to have more fun and be happy, and I have yet to hear anybody regret it.

Remember: nothing goes to waste. Sure, time out of an industry can be a minor setback if you want to return, but nothing is impossible, and education doesn't expire. I love my life, and I have a lot of fun. Even though I don't directly use my degree, it is far from a waste. The clubs and activities I randomly discovered at Kent State set me on a new path that I live to this very day, and have introduced me to people and ideas I otherwise never would've known. College is more than a degree; it's a life-building process. If you change your mind on what you want to do, that is perfectly okay, and you should never feel bad for it.