I Don't Need Thanksgiving Day

I Don't Need Thanksgiving Day

A holiday misunderstood

3
I Don't Need Thanksgiving Day
The Original Thanksgiving

Before you take this the wrong way and call me a "holiday hater", let me elaborate.

The first Thanksgiving was celebrated by the Pilgrims in 1621 to acknowledge a Harvest whenever they came and settled in America. They feasted for three days. This holiday was established as a federal holiday in 1863 by President Abraham Lincoln as a day to give thanks and praise to our Father in heaven. He declared that it be celebrated on the fourth Thursday of every November. This year it will fall on the 24th.

Don't get me wrong, I love Thanksgiving. Turkey, mashed potatoes, deviled eggs, casseroles, dumplings, dressing, desserts upon desserts. The possibilities are endless when it comes to dinner plates on this holiday. But, here's the thing- Are we celebrating the food we're devouring until we make ourselves miserably full, or are we spending this day to give thanks and praise to the Father? There's nothing wrong with enjoying a big home-cooked meal, surrounded by family and close friends, celebrating together. But, in this time together, reflect on your year and what you're thankful for. And I don't mean just going around the table saying you're thankful for that trough of mashed potatoes your grandmother slaved over all morning. Share with your family, and with yourself, the things that you are most grateful for. We have a Savior that willingly experienced a miserable death to forgive us for our sins. We have a Father who protects us, guides us, and provides for us endlessly. We all have that in common. Every single one of us has been blessed differently, yet tremendously. Use this time to be a blessing to others the way God has blessed you.

Back to my original comment, I don't need Thanksgiving Day. The Lord has given us hundreds and thousands of days to show our thankfulness to Him and His faithfulness, why do we only take advantage of that one day of the year?

Celebrate with your families this week, as I will do with mine, but don't forget to praise Him while you do it. Our God is good this Thanksgiving, and He'll be good next Thanksgiving too, along with every day in between.