Things you probably will not need to have in college.

8 Things I Didn't Need for College

607
8 Things I Didn't Need for College

The summer between high school graduation and move in day for college, I was stressed to the max about what to bring to college. Therefore, I went above and beyond and brought almost everything. I wasn't sure of what to expect and everyone gave different opinions about what they thought were useful.. truth is, it is all up to you, but here are eight things I brought to college, that probably could have stayed at home.

Entire Closet

I left only a few clothes at home because I knew I would not be going back too often... but honestly there was no where in my dorm to store all of my clothes. And besides I gained like 20 free tee shirts in the first few months. I rarely even wore most of the clothes I brought... including my shoes. Walking around campus can be painful at times, so a few comfortable and reliable shoes should do the trick.

School Lanyard

Nothing screams freshman like having a lanyard around your neck that you got from orientation. Get a nice lanyard that you actually like or do like I did and buy a wrist key ring holder.

Favorite Books to Read

I brought along a few books that I enjoyed reading in high school... truth is, I never touched them until move out day. You will not have time, unless you truly think you will be able to make time.

Binders

Depending on your major, a lot of school supplies will not get used. Honestly, a few spiral notebooks or 5 subject notebook will get the job done. DO NOT FORGET YOUR PEN & PENCILS... people will not share, sometimes. It rains a lot in college so make sure the notebooks have water resistant covers, like 5 star.

Big Umbrella

UMBRELLAS ARE IMPORTANT... but just one for you that you can carry in your book bag. After a month at ECU I soon realized that ECU stands for Everyone Carries Umbrellas. A big one will just be something you lag around and probably forget in a classroom.

Desk Decor

My mom is a huge fan of going in a store and picking up little things. Honestly, I became her... freshman year my desk was full of cute little things that I rarely touched. I barely even sat at my desk to do homework. Those little things are just stuff that cause clutter and will collect dust, trust me.

Printer

I actually did not get a printer and was kind of bummed out that I didn't, but I soon realized, it was not necessary. You will constantly be near a printer to print assignments. Also, a printer is more space to take up in your already crowded dorm.

Duplicates

My roommate and I planned out stuff pretty well, but a few things were duplicated like rugs, shower curtains, TVs. Somethings you will want two of but honestly having two TVs isn't the best, especially when both are loud and playing two different types of shows.

I hope these little things can help some of you on deciding about what to bring to college. But honestly, don't stress and just enjoy it all. Some people will need things that I didn't based on your college. Just be sure to stay safe and have a great year! I hope you enjoyed reading!

- Asia Henry

P.S. Please do not criticize me for misspellings or grammatical errors. I just wrote this as I would say it.