I Don't Have My Shit Together, And That's Okay

You don't need to have your shit together to be happy.

168

Shit Show. Mess. Fiasco. Disaster.

I think you get the point- and these are all words to commonly describe myself, my friends and my current situation in life. I don't separate my whites from my colors when I do laundry, I still smell my lunch meat to see if its expired, I've gone to class visibly still intoxicated from the night before and it's only a Tuesday, my clothes sit on my floor before and after my laundry is done, never seeing the inside of a drawer, my nails aren't done, advil and champagne are my best friends, I haven't eaten a vegetable in four months and I'm using conditioner as body wash at the moment. Many would describe this lifestyle as a shit show and everyone has that one friend that plays this role perfectly, and I'm that friend.

At first, I used to be super offended by this and couldn't understand why people kept calling me a "shit show." I mean sure, I showed up to stat class with no pencil and two different colored socks on, but at least I remembered there was a quiz today. I was offended when people told me the time to be at the pre-game was 8 when it was really 9:30 because they knew I'd always be late. I tried to change my shit show lifestyle day by day, slowly doing things to change my habits. I picked my clothes up off the floor and moved them to the foot of my bed, I tried to purchase new body wash when I went to CVS, and most importantly, I tried to stop drinking so much before I even made it to the pre-game. Functional people remember their nights, right? And then I thought to myself... I'm only 20 years old (newly).

I have the ENTIRE rest of my life to have my shit together and right now sure isn't the time. People who have their entire life together at age 20 are the people that are going to have a mid-life crisis and be divorced by 30. College was my time to be a complete and utter shit show- but I got what I needed to get done. People were always surprised I could be such a mess and still manage to keep a 3.5 GPA, be an active member of the debate team, participate in greek life and be a writer for multiple platforms. My priorities are straight, but in the meantime I plan on having fun with it and I encourage you all to as well.

People look down upon shit shows because they are the most fun and they wish they could be as fun as the person with plans Tuesday-Sunday. My ex-boyfriend used to make so much fun of me (and still probably does) saying that I'm the biggest shit show he knew. He hated how I wrote articles telling girls to embrace their crazy, bitch out their ex f*** boys, burn their ex's houses down and now... I'm encouraging you to be a shit show. But that all comes from embracing who you are and not changing because someone thinks their path to success is the better one. I plan on being just as successful as everyone who decides sitting in the library on a Thursday night is a good idea; I'm just going to take the fun way there.