I Don't Have My Life Together, And I'm Okay With That

These are the years to live a little more and care a little less.

26
Unsplash

As we can all admit, that period between 18 and our early 20s is that stage in life where we're pressured to have our lives together and have it all figured out, because we feel like everyone else our age does, and it's just how it goes. News flash: If you haven't already figured this out, it doesn't work like that. Not every other person your age has their life figured out already, probably about 98% of them don't, and that's okay. Here's why.

1. This is the time to figure yourself out.

18 through the early 20s is all about figuring you out. Chances are you've recently graduated high school, or are starting or attending college. You just became an adult. It's truly unrealistic to have your life figured out and know what you want to do for the rest of you life. It's a time to have fun.

2. Have too much fun.

These are the last few years you can be irresponsible and it's totally okay. Go out with your friends, and go out all of the time. Stay out late, and regret it the next morning. Spend too much money on clothes, parts to make your car cooler, and eating out. Live a little more, and care a little less. You'll miss this time in your life later.

3. Be in a relationship, or don't.

Whether you're in a relationship or not, it doesn't matter. If you aren't, this doesn't mean you'll be alone for the rest of your life because everyone you age is in a relationship. Be in a relationship. Have fun. Stay single, flirt, and date who you want. This is not a crucial time for finding the person you're going to spend the rest of your life with. Remember that.

4. Why would you want to pay bills?

Sure, we all have our small bills we either pay for every month or give our parents money for, but most of us have avoided the big bills. If you do have a part time job, while in school or on summer vacation, it feels like you rule the world and hell, it would be so easy to afford an apartment or house on your own, along food, cable, and wifi. When you add all of those things up, it's a lot more than the $600 monthly rent. If your parents are allowing you to stay under their roof, and they're still feeding you, hold on to this. Push off paying bills for as long as you can. Everyone wants to live on their own, and have a car and a job, but most of us end up having one, maybe two of those things. All three are nearly impossible, but like I said before, hold off on paying major bills as long as you can.

5. Save working your life away for later.

Work never goes away. Once you graduate college, or high school even for some, you start working for the rest of your life. Why work yourself to death now, just to have to do it until you retire? Last summer I held two jobs. I worked from 7 in the morning to 3:30 at one job, and 4 to 9 (and 10 on Fridays) at my second job. I would work 39 hours between Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. The money was great, but 60-plus hours a week was rough, and I wouldn't do it again. Make enough money to pay your phone bill, put gas in your car, and go out with friends, but don't work yourself to death. You're going to be working for the rest of your life.

We're too young to have our entire lives together, and things don't always go how you may have planned them anyway. Take things one day at a time, appreciate the unexpected, and embrace the things that are different from what your originally planned. Live more, care less, and work less. Save the "adulting" for later. We can all agree being a kid is way more fun.