Don't Give Up Your Dreams For A Guy, It Isn't Worth It

Don't Give Up Your Dreams For A Guy, It's Not Going To Be Worth It

You deserve a guy who pushes you to reach your goals.

156

When you first get into a relationship it is all happy and sweet. Then you get into a routine and you get comfortable. Sometimes you might get too comfortable and push down your significant other. Which, obviously, isn't a good thing.

I spent two years with a guy who told me he didn't like that I went to college and didn't deny when I said he didn't support me. He didn't care. He didn't like where I was and he was going to make sure I knew it. I wasn't blameless though, I tried to get him to change his life plans to better fit mine and I told him how his passions sometimes scared me because I felt he would be too selfish. We were trying to fix a doomed relationship.

I should have ended it way before it actually ended, but I didn't. I stayed until he broke my heart and cried for weeks over him. I still do sometimes.

Don't do what I did.

Find a guy who will support you no matter what. Find a guy who, even if what you want doesn't align with what he wants, will still respect you for being confident in knowing what you want. Who supports your passions and pushes you to reach your goals.

Don't do what I did.

Find a guy who will make you happy and excited to do things and pursue your passions.

Ultimately, my wanting to go abroad ended my relationship. The sad thing is I actually thought about giving up that opportunity just in the hopes that we would work it out.

Looking back, I gave up a lot for my relationship. I didn't go to events in order to stay in and talk to him. I didn't take opportunities for my academics because it would mean less time talking to him. My first year and a half of college were spent tiptoeing around a doomed relationship and my college life suffered for it.

A relationship isn't supposed to be a struggle for who gets to do what they want. It should be about compromise and support and love. Not tearing each other down and getting angry at the other's success.

Be confident and know who you are without another person. Don't lose sight of your dreams because someone else doesn't like them. You are your own person. You deserve any life you work for. Don't give up and follow those goals you set up for yourself.

If you won't fight for your dreams, then who will?

Go out and get it, girl.