No, I Don't Do Politics And Yes, I Plan On Keeping It That Way

While I know that politics is very important, especially at this time, I hold no interest in it whatsoever because of what it does to us.

356

While I know that politics is very important, especially at this time, I hold no interest in it whatsoever because of what it does to us. I don't keep up with the latest news of it, and I don't care to. All that politics is doing for us is tearing our nation apart.

Hear me out on this one: when our founding fathers created this nation and experimented with our government, they had no intention of ever having "factions." These factions have turned into political parties, which are the core of our biggest problems. Or, at least it is the distraction from our greatest problems.

Growing up in a small town in a red state meant that everyone shared the same ideals and if you didn't, you were wrong. Coming to college and having friends from larger cities from blue states showed that having different ideas wasn't always right either. So, where is the happy medium?

As I started to develop my own beliefs, I quickly learned that they were considered "wrong" because they were not affiliated with the right party: either one.

I didn't want my beliefs to be based on a particular party, person, or area. I wanted my beliefs to be based on what ideas I liked or not and what I truly believed in, not what other people told me to believe in.

So, I guess I could be considered a moderate. I don't consider myself to be a Republican or Democrat, but I do believe in both Republican and Democratic ideas.

But why don't I do politics? Because it is destroying us. Because I don't fit into a category like everyone else. But mostly because it does more harm than good. I want to do good things with my life and help people, not harm others like politics is currently doing. And it's the fault of both parties, not just one!

Instead of focusing more on candidates and winning elections, we should be more focused on the problems we have in this nation and how we plan to fix them. We should focus more on the ideas we talk about so much. In fact, we should focus more on the actual issues that we have in this country, instead of arguing over the same petty speculations that are getting us nowhere.

We have real issues at hand, but instead, we are more focused on what celebrities tweet each other.

If we formed our own opinions instead of adopting those from celebrities, politicians, family members, and friends, then maybe we would be able to discuss more important topics.

If we didn't let party affiliation affect our relationships with one another, maybe we would be happier as a whole.

Political outings have risen so much that every social media network is bursting with them. People get put in "Facebook jail" for their political posts and arguments. People block, unfriend, and even report others just when they don't get along. People take politics way too far considering the state we are in.

Politics has gotten so nasty that I don't even want social media anymore. I don't want to watch television because of all the quarrels and controversy. I don't want to talk to people about it. We hold political association to a higher standard than anything else. What is supposed to be uniting is actually very isolating.

So, therefore, I give up. I give up trying to get involved and learn more about politics. I give up associating with it. I give up politics in general. And thus, I don't do politics anymore.

And why do I give up? Because I am only one small whisper in a sea of screams. No one will notice me, and no one will care. Maybe it is because I am not a confrontational person, but I am okay with it.

They say that your voice matters and that your vote could make a difference and blah blah blah. But, I have to question whether it really does or not? Does my voice matter if I don't align with a side? Does my vote count if it isn't for any of their choices? Could I really make a difference if it is one that no one wants?

While these questions make me want to consider joining politics, I tell myself no. Because in the end, it doesn't matter. Whether I vote or not, whether I make a bold statement or a quiet response, none of it matters when you have no interest. The fights, the struggles, and the disappointment aren't worth it when you are the only one fighting, and you don't even care.

So, sorry politics, but I won't be joining your scam.