Don't Do It For Them

Don't Do It For Them

When no one gets your dream.
2

People pleasing. Two famous words for the softees who can't say no or for those who struggle with who they are and depend on other people to tell them. Are you a college student who has a passion for education, but everyone seems to tell you that you won't fit that role? Have you done the same job your whole life, but stayed within the boundaries for the sake of your routine? Don't do it for them.

1. It's Not Selfish To Consider Yourself

Selfishness in and of itself is a topic for another day, but briefly, selfishness is not selfish. Excessive selfishness is harmful, like spending all of your time and not investing in anyone. Taking the time to pour into and to cultivate your skills is not selfish. You may benefit other people through the time you spend alone, because you will be a better version of yourself.

2. You Know Your Dream

Envision yourself pursuing your dream and actually achieving it. Only you know what your true dreams are, even though you may not know quite how to get there yet. If you don't know your dream, that's okay. Taking time to hone in your skills like I said in point one will allow you to be the best you can be at the right time. No one can take away your passions, and you should not allow someone to squander a passion.

3. Listen, But Don't

I'm a music and religion double major. If I had a dollar for every time someone said "So, what are you doing with that?" I could pay off all my student loans. It's not that people mean it in a negative way (some do), but they don't always see what you see. Thank goodness not everyone in the world has the same job. That's lame. That's even dangerous. I have had negative comments towards my major before, but that will not make me change it. I listen, but I don't. I hear the pros and cons and opinions. Listen to the people that care about you and know your vision and passions. That sounds fun and dandy, and for some people that's the case, but here's what's really hard: when the people who love you do not understand your dreams. If they love you, they will support you. Even though they might not like it. They want the best for you.

Don't live your life for other people. One of my favorite quotes is from a rapper by the name of Lecrae. He says "If you live for people's acceptance, you'll die from their rejection."

Pursue your passions. Listen, but don't. Take care of yourself. Love other people in the process.

Best,

Hope Roberts