Here's Why You Should Appreciate Your Core Courses

You may not enjoy it in the moment, but in the end it will benefit you.
25

Depending on where you attend college, you will experience a whole slew of classes. Some you'll enjoy, despite the challenge, and others you'll despise even though it might be an easy A. You may learn a different language, or about a specific period and area of history which may not even relate to your major or minor, but are extremely important to becoming a more well-rounded person.

Maybe I'm biased because of the liberal arts education I am receiving, but I believe many of those little courses that are requirements are very important to not your career, but just to being a well-educated person in general.

We all have that one class.

For me, it was Philosophy, which I just can't understand why we have to take. Yes, we wrote many papers which improved my writing, but I could have just done that in an English class. Why did I need to learn about all of these philosophical ideas and theories that were way too deep for me really understand? If not for my entertaining professor, that class most definitely would have been a major struggle.

But as a sophomore, as I reminisce about my freshman year schedule, in which I got most of my core requirements over with, I realize there was a purpose for all of that. I was exposed to many subjects that I would have never considered to take on my own. I was forced to read many classics, that although I respected, I never really had the urge to read or interpret. It pushed me out of my comfort zone and made me a well-rounded person.

For example, my history requirement was assigned to my first semester freshman year. I really had no say in the professor or topic; it just appeared on my schedule as a done deal. I'd always had an interest in history, so this wasn't a big deal. I may have not traditionally chosen the topic of the class, which focused on how Islam has interacted with the western world throughout centuries, but now I can confidently discuss that topic with a multitude of audiences. It also allowed me to understand current events more and even help explain to my family members the tensions and events behind the current events in our world.

So as you're making your schedules, or searching through the course directory at your school, or complaining about this class that has absolutely no use to you, think of the future conversation you'll be able to have due to this new found education.

This is not to say just take a bunch of random courses in college. You are here to major in something and eventually find a career, but don't discount those required classes that you have no interest in. Hey, I'm the person that struggles with nearly every technological aspect of my life and I'm taking a computer science class next semester so...believe in yourself.