I Don't Care If You Say The "R" Word

I Don't Care If You Say The "R" Word

Please just become more aware of what you are really saying...

24
I Don't Care If You Say The "R" Word
Jane Reutter

We're all human. I understand that sometimes the word slips out. No, I'm not going to yell at you for it like many others do. Honestly, the word slips out on me once or twice and it's hard to stop. I'm not saying it's right, but I'm also not going to pester you for it. I've seen so many articles that have, excuse my language, bitched about people using the "R" word, and how awful and low of a person they are.

Let's get one thing straight, what you say DOES NOT define what kind of person you are. But I will ask you to be aware of what you are saying.

There is a fine line between using this "R" word in replace of another like "stupid" or "dumb", and then it is another that you abuse it by using it towards someone who does have a disability. That is not cool. I will lay it down right now, you do not do something like that. Morally it is wrong, and socially it is wrong. I don't like the word, but I will not be a hypocrite and say that I don't use it because I do. I'm sorry for it, but that is just reality. I don't have anything against people who have any kind of disability, I was an assistant Special Olympics coach, and my best friend has Down Syndrome so saying I have something against people with disabilities would be inaccurate.

I will shed some light on the matter considering whoever is reading this probably thinks I am a heartless jerk. People who have any kind of mental or even physical disability are seriously the best people I have met in my life. My best friend has Down Syndrome like I mentioned before.

In all honesty, it bothers me when someone says "God bless your heart! She is so lucky to have a friend like you!" Truth is, she's not the lucky one. I am. She is literally one of the biggest blessings in my life. She listens to me better than my own family and closest friends. I have been through a couple breakups, and had boy issues and that girl is either on the phone with me, telling me to come over, or she is right by my side rubbing my back as I fall asleep in a puddle of tears.

This girl is the most kind-hearted individual I have ever met. She probably works harder at sports and hobbies than any of us honestly, she goes to church, goes to church camps and volunteers for different fundraisers, she is athletic and is always out and about doing something! She's incredible. Anyone like her, I guarantee is incredible.

But she is a person, just like you and me. I don't see her as someone who has a disability. People always ask me, "How do you understand what they are saying?" I don't know. I just do. I think I have been around it for so long, that talking to her is just like having a normal conversation with someone because to me, she is normal. They are all normal.

I have read so many articles that say that they are "speaking for a population that can not defend themselves." Well, I feel like I am truly speaking for them, and they are highly capable of defending themselves if they choose they need to. If it's not a problem to them, then it shouldn't be a problem to us.

I'm telling you, go out and meet someone who has some kind of disability. If your school has a "special education" program, volunteer to help their class or invite them to your table at lunch. I feel like people will maybe ease up on using the "R" word if they actually get to know someone who does have a physical or mental handicap. They are amazing people. They have no hate towards anyone, they fight to be the best they can be every day. Truly, they are inspiring.

I wish I could say that I never participated in such a hurtful phenomenon when it comes to this word, but I have, out of context. Not toward anyone to be mean, just as a replacement word. It's no excuse, I know. There really isn't an excuse for any of us to use it, but it won't be something I will harass someone about. It will never be something I will put someone down about. I would advise anyone who knows that they say it, to just be cautious, be aware.