Don't Blink

Don't Blink

These days will be mere memories before you know it.

3
Don't Blink
google

You’re almost there. You have a little over 6 months left till you’re done. 6 more months of after-school practices, after-school clubs, AP classes, seeing the same faces you’ve come to know for the past 4 years (some you’ve even seen since kindergarten), and most importantly, 6 more months till you spread your wings and find out what you’re made of. Some of you will go on to college, some will join the armed forces, and some will continue on straight into the working world. But where ever your path shall take you, here’s two little words of advice: Don’t Blink. This will all be gone before you know it. Girls, I bet you’ve already started looking for your prom dress. Guys, you’re already planning your senior sunrise. Some of you already know who your date is (or have ideas who you might ask because I will be honest, things change. Be prepared for that). Life gets really different once you leave high school. If you loved it or hated it, the end is drawing rapidly close so hug your friends a little tighter, thank your teachers (because not all professors will be as lenient as they are) and thank your families for always being there for you because when the real world hits, its sink or swim. In fact, you've spent the last year preparing for the future: applications, college visits, standardized tests, choosing a major… everything you need to figure out in order to start the rest of your life. And by this point, you have it pretty much all figured out and ready to go.

I understand the struggle of wanting to have the freedoms that adults have when you’re a senior. Some of you have turned 18 already, which means by law, you are technically an adult, but high school administration is still treating you like you’re in 5th grade. It's a frustratingly weird limbo to have one foot in high school and the other in college, but I want to challenge you to plant both feet firmly in high school and make the most of the time you have left. Cherish that time because once it’s gone, you can’t ever get it back.

High school is the time when your teammates are extended family. When you spend week nights at your best friend’s house laughing about your inside jokes. When you look forward to spending your weekends wandering around town, looking for something to do. In 6 months, you’ll all be getting ready to part ways. You’ll be busy dorm shopping, working for money to save, or spending time with your family because you know a time will come when you all won’t be in the same place anymore. Savor the moments you have because they’ll come a time when you wish you could hit rewind and live it all over again.

Don’t waste your time trying to impress anyone. If you walk to the beat of your own drum, own it.

Don’t hesitate to tell people how you feel.

Invest in friendships but don’t stray away from keeping your grades up.

Laugh. A lot. Life becomes very serious really quick and there’s little to no time to find comical relief, I’m warning you.

Be BOLD! Let the world know why you love yourself (and why they should too!)

Always give 100%. Don’t half ass anything. Either do it all the way, or don’t bother doing it at all.

This is cheesy, but maybe write a letter to all the people who have molded you for the better in the past few years. And I’m not just talking about high school, but maybe the years prior, too. Reach out and let them know that they mean (or meant) something to you.

Enjoy the little things. Don’t stress the big things.

Hang out with your parents. I realize now just how great they are. It’s a weird feeling when you’re not always coming home to them or when you don’t have a chance to talk to them every day. You’ll miss the laughs and the fun. You’ll miss their smiling faces.

Tell your siblings you love them. Boys, hug your brother(s). Girls, tell your sister that you love her. Remember, they’re getting older too and time doesn’t stop for anyone.

Girls; this is for you. Don’t waste all your time applying perfect make up. There will come a day when you start wearing 4-day old eyeliner to classes and wont bat an eye. I swear, the time will come.

Hug your mom.

Hug your dad.

Kiss your dog or cat.

Lastly…

Live. Have fun.

But most importantly…

Be happy.