Why I Don't Believe In Perfection

Why I Don't Believe In Perfection

I'm proud of my bumbling personality and actions.

207
Why I Don't Believe In Perfection
Gavin Glen Johnson

If I had to point out the worst expression my friends have ever shown, it would be exclaiming "perfect." If people are gonna be sensitive about intersexuality or political correctness, I'm going to be sensitive about people placing high expectations on others.

I spent 30 hours aside with a fellow Christian whom I've been befriending to bond over movies and stand-up comedy. As I've mentioned in a recent vlog, he asked me about my "dark side." I didn't have a clear answer for him. After him telling me how well he has been analytical in one-on-one conversations, I felt trapped.

Not everyone can express their emotions perfectly. We just have to cope by ourselves if you're with only one friend for the time being.

Some people may not like me, and I just can't catch their attention all the time for me to win their approval. This one friend didn't want to come see me perform my comedy at an open mic. He just told me that he doesn't like the bar scene; it can be too noisy for some people. I told him, "All right. Here's the plan: You put on your noise-canceling headphones, wear a hoodie overhead and I'll escort you back and forth for some inspiration like a Catholic nun. This plan should work out perfectly." I didn't say out loud because I know how ignorant it might sound in public.

It made me realize why we would want such social media platforms like Snapchat and Instagram stories: We chose these features on our phones to post imperfections out of being "ourselves in certain environments." I might do these "stories" to reach possible advocacy work or celebrations of creative works. I'm random for my own self-esteem, and then I talk about with others. To this day, I'm taking that kind of motivation into some writing and public speaking.

As a Minnesotan, Snoopy portrays as the greatest dog in the history of cartoons. Some people may think I'm biased for Charles Schultz being from Minnesota himself; some might just plain disagree with me. But they will always be others that may agree with me for how wonderful Snoopy's character is: Lazy and random, but he's loyal to any loser out there.

I find the most awarding value of faith is not perfection, but loyality.