Don't Be Jelly Of Shay Marzelli

Don't Be Jelly Of Shay Marzelli

Brooklyn artist Shay Marzelli is making strides in the rap game and has no problem letting you know that he's the best and next up!

21
Don't Be Jelly Of Shay Marzelli

Brooklyn, New York artist, Shay Marzelli is bringing his unique style, flow, and culture to the music industry, without any doubts that he will be one of the best in the business. His tenacity and dedication to music is never unnoticed and he makes sure of that along the way of his journey to success. With future projects and new music on the way, Shay Marzelli is definitely an artist to look out for as he builds his brand and music brick-by-brick, and will soon enough be a household name in the near future.

What's your musical background?

A lot of my family is from the South so growing up in a house with my grandparents kinda gave me that southern hospitality. I guess you can say that I have a southern-soul but I also have a secret love for what my family called “oldie’s music”. The spark to make music actually originated back in junior high school. I went from beat-boxing, to banging on lunchroom tables with friends. As my love for music grew, I started taking it more serious when I reached my first year of college.

What are the main inspirations for the music that you write?

Just knowing that I have the ability to turn heads and make people say “wow” is an amazing feeling. It motivates me and pushes me to want to write more and more. I guess the feeling of people underestimating me before my first word, and then being left in complete shock by the last bar is what I like about it the most. Also, I'd say that it's something within me. I wake up with an urge to write music, when I'm at work I write, and when I was in class I would find myself writing music instead of essays, so it's just something that cannot seem to escape me. It's my form of expression and it's second nature for me at this point. I really can't see myself doing anything else honestly.

Who were some of your biggest influences growing up?

Growing up my favorite artist was Ludacris, believe it or not. I loved his energy and his flow which made him very charismatic. Ja Rule was another artist that really influenced me throughout my younger junior high school puppy love days haha. On top of that I used to also listen to a lot of R&B and any type of music that actually meant something. I guess that’s where I get the smooth “ladies man” vibe that you may hear on certain tracks that I have written. That type of music really influenced me and helped mold me into the 90's/Newschool/Hip-Hop type of artist that I am today.

How did your collaboration with Vicky G come about?

We were in the studio in Miami, and some producers were working on a beat for Vicky. I'm that type of artist where if I'm in the studio with other artist and I hear beats, I tend to get in my corner to vibe out, then eventually start writing on my own. By the time the producer finished the beat I had a verse ready without any intentions for that verse to go on the song, but I just wanted them to hear it just in case they liked it. So I rapped the verse in the studio and they were like, "Yo, we want you on the record, ASAP". That's how it all came about and that's what you call making opportunity for yourself.

Dead or alive, what is your dream collaboration?

I would definitely work with J. Cole. I feel like he's the type of artist who doesn't do many collaborations and he has a certain standard when it comes to the quality of music he puts out. I'm a similar artist but I feel like we have indistinguishable styles when it comes to the types of beats we like and the types of sound we have. I would also work with artists like, Kanye or Lauryn Hill. Lauryn Hill is one of my favorite female inspirations and I love her work.

Do you have your own songs in your favorite playlist?

Yes, of course. I get music from all sources but my music is definitely in my favorite playlist. I am my favorite artist. I enjoy the type of music I make and I make my music for myself first but I also make it for others. I just have a certain standard when it comes to quality music and if anybody is going to disappoint me it's going to be myself. Who am I going to count on to make dope music besides myself?

What's your end goal with your music?

At the end of the tunnel I see myself doing what I love, which is music, and making a living off of it and providing for my family. I would love to branch off into being a businessman, acting, etc., because there's so much more to do out there than just music. It definitely doesn't just end with music.

How have you grown as an artist from a year ago to today?

I've grown tremendously throughout the last couple years, especially when it comes down to my ability of creating a hook. I'm so much faster at coming up with a dope hook than I was two years ago. I came to the realization that I have more of a preference when it comes to my music and that's something that has changed within me over time. I prefer to write to a beat that's soulful and when you hear it you rather listen to the lyrics than the actual beat. When it comes to the type of people that I surround myself with that has definitely changed as well. It's good to surround yourself with people who are into the type of things you're into whether it's music, taking pictures, etc. That way you feed off of each other's creativity and it helps you stay motivated. As an artist, I know the level of potential I have to be great in this music industry, and I refuse to settle for less.

What type of celebrity would you be?

I wouldn't be the type of celebrity to charge people for a picture. I'm definitely a humble person and very respectful to others. I don't really care about status, as long as people recognize my music and is something that moves them and makes them feel good… that's all I care about.

What are some words of wisdom that you can give to your fans or other people on the come-up?

For whoever is really serious about music, just make sure you invest in yourself as an artist. Never depend on anyone else to go after your dreams for you. Don't ever let anyone discourage you or tell you that you “can't”. Anything is possible when you believe and as long as you see your own vision, that's all that matters.

SoundCloud:Shay Marzelli Music

Instagram:@MarzelliNY

Twitter: @ShayMarzelli