9 Things You Should NOT Ask a Black Woman about her hair

or even someone with afro hair

728
black hair

Black hair has become viral in the past two years. Some people are finally paying attention to it but they still lack the knowledge and simple respect towards the subject.

Many of them don't understand what the big deal is. I'll tell you.

When I was growing up my, hair was always a big insecurity. It was bigger, thicker, and in some eyes, messier. I braided it, straightened it and pulled it into ponytails to keep it tame because growing up no one looked like me.

To this day, people with naturally thin hair still treat me like this foreign exhibit of knots and curls. Honestly, if you really have questions the information is accessible on the internet like anything else.

You can even simply ASK genuine questions to get real information. Yet, if you want real information, these are the questions you SHOULD NOT ask.

1. Is it real?

Today, we are all aware of extensions, weaves, and wigs that many women, not just black women put on their head. But when asking this question, you're not looking to validate that. First, it's impolite and secondly, it's none of your business.

2. How did you get your hair like that?

Sometimes, this can be a genuine question that flatters you at first and then offends you. Black natural has various textures that do not resemble the same as any other hair type. My hair naturally curls, bends, smoothens etc. I don't want to give you a tutorial on black hair so, do your research.

3. Can I touch your hair?

Most people don't want to be a petting zoo. Personally, I don't even like my siblings or relatives touching me. So, what convinces you that I'll allow a stranger to do it?

4. How do you brush your hair?

Believe it or not, I can brush my hair in order to style it.

5. It’s so pretty! Are you mixed/biracial?

As I said before black hair has many different natural textures. So, just because someone has softer and longer curls or hair does not mean they are mixed race. Many black women have great hair even if you are not used to seeing it.

6. Why don’t you straighten your hair?

That's like saying, let me introduce you to heat damage. Our hair does not thrive with heat and neither does any other hair.

7. How do you get your hair straight?

Straightening our hair is simple; we use a straightener. But it's not always easy for us because it's a much longer process.

8. Do you wash your hair?

Washing my hair is as natural as anything else. My hair actually needs to be washed and cleaned just as any other part of my body.

9. Why do you wear scarves/head wraps/bonnets?

Fun fact, before head wraps and scarves, became a fashion trend, they derived from colonialism and slavery. Scarfs and head wraps are a part of a culture. We use them to protect our hair or maintain hairstyles. Today, we use them for similar purposes but also, as fashion statements or sometimes even to hide when your hair is a mess.