Stricter Gun Laws Could Have Prevented The Oxford Tragedy

How many parents have to bury their children before we realize this?

1153

I'm sure we've all heard of the horrific events that took place this past Tuesday at Oxford High School in Michigan. And I'm sure we were all deeply saddened by it; four precious young lives lost and so many others injured. However, while reading all the news articles and Instagram posts about this disaster, I felt more than just devastation. I was angry. Angry because this has happened far too many times. Angry because, yet again, children have lost their lives at a place where they are supposed to feel safe and protected: school. This blood is on America's hands. Many of us have advocated for more gun control for years, and no one has listened! In the United States, it's possible to get your hands on a firearm within one hour. One hour. Whereas in many other countries, it can take months. The gun that the shooter used in the Oxford shooting was literally bought just days before the event took place. It should not be this easy! To purchase a gun in America all you need to do is complete a simple background check then purchase your firearm of choice. That's it.

As if that isn't bad enough, many people purchase guns without so much as a background check because federal law doesn't require it when buying from private sellers. With the lack of federal regulation, almost anyone could get their hands on a firearm. This is simply terrifying and politicians in power must do something about it. Typical weapon-enthusiasts will argue their right to bear arms. The thing is, implementing stricter gun laws is not an infringement of rights! You can still own a gun - you'll just have to complete more steps in order to do so. And if you're worried about not being able to complete certain steps, I think it's safe to say you probably shouldn't own a gun.

Simply adding a few more steps to the process of buying a gun for the safety of our people is so necessary and so doable. What's the harm in adding a gun safety course or a home inspection to make sure a living space contains the proper storage for a firearm (you know, so a 15-year-old boy can't just grab his father's gun and hop on the school bus). Time and time again, mass shootings and killings have proven to us that the gun system in America is far from safe. How many more parents have to bury their children before we stop prioritizing guns over the people of our country?