Springfield

5 Of Springfield, MO's Best Local Treats

Support small, support local, support families.

25

Shopping local is such an important thing to do. No matter how much money you are spending or what it is you're buying, you can do it with a conscious mind knowing that there isn't some billionaire in the world somewhere adding your hard earned dollar bills to their already big pile of money. Buying local means supporting your community. Buying local means putting food on the table or sending a little girl to those dance lessons she's been begging daddy for. Buying local is so important.

Pineapple Whip

Pineapple Whip is a local delicacy that has been apart of Springfield since 1947 when the recipe was first created and then was sold at the Ozark Empire Fair.

Today, that recipe is still the same and is still run by the same family... just three generations later. Pineapple Whip now has three locations throughout Springfield to serve up this delicious treat and all its flavors but you can only get it in the summer months.

If you're lucky, you might be able to catch Whip Solstice which is a week in winter when Pineapple Whip opens its doors for its lovely fans.

Five Pound Apparel

Five Pound Apparel is here to not only sell you cute clothes but also single-handedly save the world. Okay, that might be a bit of an exaggeration but Five Pound Apparel really is out here planting trees and donating food to people who are in need with every purchase made.

Have you ever seen one of those shirts that say "Springfield, MO where dreams come true"? Well this not only cute but also the comfortable shirt is sold at this store, and now you don't have an excuse to not grab one! Stop in and see all the awesome local items this store has been offering to Springfield since 2010.

Springfield Brewing Company 

Springfield Brewing Company is a delicacy in my eyes. This place has it all from a comfortable atmosphere, an amazing handcrafted menu, and nine on tap beers that are brewed within the restaurant.

When you walk in and look straight back, two giant walls of glass transparently show you the brewers where all the magic is done. And I've heard that mac and cheese is a good pairing with beer.

I'm quite the mac and cheese fanatic and have had many different kinds. But I don't think that I have ever had mac and cheese as good as they serve it up here.

SBC serves up breakfast, lunch, and dinner opening up at 11 am on the weekdays and 9 am on the weekends. This is a Springfield delicacy that I promise you don't want to miss out on.

Bass Pro Shops

Sure, Bass Pro has grown a lot and has locations all over the country but I still consider it to be a locally owned operation in Springfield, Missouri.

Springfield is where Bass Pro started off and has grown tremendously ever since. Johnny Morris is the owner of these shops and helped boost the Springfield economy tremendously when he opened the doors.

Since then he has also added Springfield's number one tourist attraction, Wonders of Wildlife which is a must see and had so many details and hard work put into it.

We thank Johnny Morris every day for the boost he gave Springfield, and the boost he continues to give the community as tourists come and visit these two attractions every year.

Fantastic Caverns

Fantastic Caverns is an awesome family adventure that started in 1962 and is still up and running today.

At Fantastic Caverns, you and your family will be put in a ride similar to the trailer for hay rides and will be taken through a one-mile trail and learn all the different things about the cave.

This adventure will take you up close not only getting to learn about the formations of the cave and creatures that live in it but also getting to see all of that first hand.

The cave is a cool 60 degrees all year round and will leave your family speechless. You don't want to miss out!

Potter's House (aka PoHo)

Potter's House is a not-for-profit, faith-based organization that is here to serve Springfield and its 30,000+ college students. Located right across the street from Missouri State University, this location is a staple for late night studying or early morning coffee runs.

The employees and volunteers are the kindest and helpful people, and will even give you a hint at what to try in case you're a first time visitor. I have even made the trek in the snow from my dorm because their coffee is just that good. Another Springfield staple that you don't want to miss.

Now that you've gotten a glimpse of Springfield's best and what is considered local you have something for everyone. From lunch to dessert and even an adventure, there is plenty to explore while still supporting local.