I Gave The Musical Cats A Second Chance And You Should Too.

I know you want to flame me right now, but just hear me out.

66
From the Missouri State University's Theatre and Dance Department Facebook Page

So, hear me out. I have also hated Cats for as long as I can remember because let's face it, those songs are way too repetitive and the no plot thing really screws all of us over. But, yes there is a but to this, recently my college put on Cats and it changed my world.

I am most definitely a little biased here because it's people I love doing what they love to do and doing it well, but I've seen shows with people I love and still have been able to walk away from it knowing it wasn't good.

Cats is a whole different story y'all. Our cast members not only put in a little subplot for themselves (which will take me too long to describe, but it worked) and built relationships in rehearsal to have interesting interactions on stage, but they slayed that show. God are they talented.

They killed those songs. I listened to the original soundtrack in comparison to our cast, and I have to say, for the most part, our cast was way better (specifically looking at "Skimbleshanks" and "The Rum Tum Tugger").

The production was just so much fun. Once I had watched the show I realized that there didn't need to be a plot for me to enjoy this show. There's no point in getting so wrapped up in "what's the meaning of this" when viewing something, but just enjoy it for how it makes you feel and what they give you.

This show is full of absolutely spectacular dancing and for the most part, is incredibly light-hearted. I was smiling throughout most of the show and never found myself bored. "Jennyanydots"? Tap is always fun and the cockroach heads are adorable. "Macavity"? Dude that was sexy and fun. "Skimbleshanks"?They made the allusion of a train with big wheels and poles and a flashlight. That's cool! "Mister Mistoffelees"? If you think that isn't going to get stuck in your head you're lying to yourself. Plus there are "magic" tricks and crazy dance tricks and leaps, it's a lot but it sure is exciting.

And again, I cannot stress how good the dancing is in this show. Seriously, if you've always hated the show please give it a try (especially if you were like me and had never actually seen it live) and see how you feel after. There are definite plot holes, but just shut your brain off and let yourself enjoy.

Now, I will not speak on giving Cats a second chance by watching the movie coming out, because I have not seen it and it looks pretty scary. Please go to the theatre and watch the musical.

I've said my piece – flame me if you must. I would have too if I hadn't given it another go.