"When I Was Your Man": A Comparative Analysis

I compared and contrasted two versions of the beautiful Bruno Mars classic and this is what I discovered.

6
Photo by Dan LeFebvre on Unsplash

I don't have a specific reason as to why I chose this song other than it being a beautiful song. This song has been covered by many people but I chose Boyce Avenue/Fifth Harmony and Sam Smith. Boyce Avenue is someone I hadn't heard before so him singing with Fifth Harmony is what caught my eye. I decided I would give him a listen and let me tell you that it was an amazing decision. Boyce Avenue has a deeper voice and had an amazing blend with the ladies of Fifth Harmony. In his cover, the song was sung from both perspectives instead of just his. The wording of the song was slightly changed to match pronouns but it was an amazing change to the song. Along with the wording changes, they also sang with a more regretful and remorseful tone and although it had a regretful stance, it was a faster pace than the other cover.

I chose Sam Smith as my other cover artists because I believe he has a beautiful singing style and I knew he would sing this song well. Sam Smith has a higher pitched voice so I knew this song could be a whole other story for him and his style. Sam also did his cover without any featured artists so he had our full attention. His version was sung from the one perspective as the song was written but unlike the original and the first cover, Sam had a sadder, depressed tone. Since this cover was more sad, it was also slower and he took his time to show us raw emotions while singing.

Both covers have polar opposite differences, they also have a handful of similarities such as both artists singing with a large amount of passion and emotion. The artists also knew and could feel when they needed a more powerful sound or when they needed to have a delicate, lighter sound. The emotion both artists gave us lead me to believe they have both been through this kind of heartbreak with someone at some point in their lives. While both covers were beautiful works, I preferred the Boyce Avenue cover because the song was almost reconstructed throughout the whole piece and had my attention the entire time while Sam's was relatively slower. If you are sad or upset then I definitely recommend Sam's version but if you just want a beautiful cover of the song, I would recommend Boyce Avenue.