11 Reasons Why Avatar: The Last Airbender Slaps Like No Other

A list with one extra reason why Avatar:The Last Airbender is where it's at.

23

So after being stuck in quarantine, I've revisited one of my favorite childhood classics: Avatar: The Last Airbender. What seems like an innocent kid's cartoon is, in fact, a messenger for life's greatest lessons.

It packs comedy, moral ambiguity, cool powers, and l fluffy animals all within its short series. But these are just some reasons, below is a great an excellent why you, yes you, should watch the show.

Buckle up; you will get nothing but the truth from this list. And I fair warning; there will be spoilers ahead.

Action! Action! Action!

This show has beautiful action sequences with overtopping fight choreography. Every hit or attack matches the character and their progress perfectly. You will never be disappointed in a fight. Simpler terms, you get to see a lot of butts kicked.

A Plot That Slaps

Within the show, there are three seasons or books as the creators call it. Every season perfectly develops the plot and the storyline goes smoothly. All questions asked by the audience are answered through sight and not tell. You find out details with the characters and aren't boringly told every detail.

Characters Are Amazingly Complex

You are not jumping into the shallow end with these characters. Villains are not just villains, and heroes are not just heroes. There's dimensions and layers to every character. Every character has a story and time to develop those stories, even just with three seasons. The protagonist, Aang, is realistic and relatable. He might be the hero, but he shows adults and children that heroes are humans too.

HOT CARTOON CHARACTERS

"Take the ponytail off the boy and make him a man." -Anonymous

Are these fictional characters? Yes. Are most of them pre-teens/teenagers? Also, yes. But there's no denying the talent put into drawing their beautiful faces. You can argue all you want, but sometimes attractive cartoon characters are hard too ignore. And with this show, they come in great supply.

An Inventive World

We are introduced to beautiful landscapes throughout the series. Influenced from our own world's ecosystems and cultures, the show brings to life its own breathtaking world.

Slapstick Comedy

Because it is a kids cartoon, the comedy is mostly slapstick and cheesy one-liners (mostly from our comedic, Sokka). The best part of that though, is that the show embraces this fact. Jokes are never forced, and this surprisingly catches adults off-guard and they laugh at the jokes intended for children.

Powers Never Seen Before

Holy guacamole, the powers are intense. Drawing their abilities from the elements, these super-powered characters are forces not to be messed with. The audience gets to see amazing tricks and attacks done with fire, Earth, water, and air. Whether, it's flying or making tidal waves, you know you've always wanted to have a superpower. Through the show, you get to live out those dreams.

Lovable Animals

What the show does best is it gets us attached to every character, including the lovable animals. And boy, are these animals cute. Pulling from our reality, we see magical creatures that we never knew we wanted. But seriously a flying bison named Appa is a genius idea.

Realistic Relationships

There's romance blossoming in the show. The relationships are mostly slow and build in time, however. Nothing feels rushed, and you get to see it develop mutually. But past romance, there's beautiful familial relationships. Great example: the villain, Zuko, and his Uncle Iroh are one of the most well-written relationships in T.V. Surprises all around.

Childlike Wonder

The story is told from childrens' perspectives. War, loss, and tragedies are taught in a way that brings hope to the audience. Because we see a childrens' perspectives, we see that there are more forgiveness and lessons to behold. We also see how such atrocities can overwhelm people, but how patience and kindness can bring out the childlike spirit in someone.

Lessons To Bring Back To The Real World

If the top reasons weren't enough, here's one more reason why you should watch the show. Real world problems exist in the show. War, racial awareness, government brainwashing, influence of the media, dictatorship, importance of nature and depression are some of the few topics brought up. For a kid's cartoon, it really packs on morals and integrity.

So if you find time in your day, revisit this fantastic show and give it the credit that its due. You would being doing a great service to yourself. Trust me you will not find more lovable characters or a story so compelling. But why take my word for it, go and watch it for yourself and see if you can prove me wrong.