Donald Trump Can't "Make America Great Again"

I know we're not perfect, but I think that we're already pretty great.

49
Odyssey

I have a lot of problems with Donald Trump. First of all, he's racist, sexist, and mocks anyone who doesn't fit his wrongly preconceived notion of what a person should look and act like. But my biggest problem with Donald Trump is his constant enforcement of the idea that the U.S. needs to be made great. Sure, we've had our blunders and a bit of a rough patch in the last decade, but I'm proud to be a U.S. citizen and I don't appreciate him telling me that me country isn't great.

Looking at the Donald's campaign promised show that the issues he's most focused on are the ones that most U.S. citizens worry about; immigration, veterans, the economy, our guns, healthcare and China. While yes, I do have concerns about those issues, I'm also concerned about other things as well. Like pay inequality, public schools, tax reforms,unions, and like a million other things that go into making the U.S. what it is. It seems to me that he's picking the things that stir up the most unhappiness in order to motivate people to join his cause. Shocking.

Where I get angry is looking at his rallies, that's where you see the worst in people. People mad and furious over gay marriage, racists looking to be heard, people degrading women and other religions, and what sickens me the most is the Trump supports it and encourages it. The U.S. that I grew up in is a tolerant one, one where you help out your neighbor and anyone who needs it, for that matter. You give to those in need and you don't judge someone by the situation they're in, but by their actions and their attitude.

Sure, we've got problems. Our education, infant mortality rate, teacher pay, literacy, poverty rate, health care, and like a million other things all need to be looked at and improved (because frankly, it is pretty upsetting for a first world country to be lacking in these areas). But despite all of that, there are countries in the world who see our flag and our troops and are grateful for the support and protection they provide.

There are developing countries where our doctors go and provide life saving services. We have men and women in our military who volunteer their time, and their lives to make this world better. We now have marriage equality, and we've had an, in my opinion, amazing black president; now we've got a woman endorsed by a major political party running for president. Those are some pretty damn great things if you ask me, and that's not even half of the list I've got in my head.

The United States of America is a proud country, and yes, we've had our slip-ups and mishaps, but that doesn't make us any less of a country or a people. What makes us great (despite Donald's thinking that you have to be white, middle class, and straight) is our acceptance of new ideas and new people. We accept and adapt and fight everyday to keep our country a place of equality, a place where anyone can come and take full advantage of it's opportunities. All it takes is a little hard work and belief that no one, not even Donald Trump can "Make American Great Again." It's already great, and it's your job, as a citizen, to keep it that way.