Dolphins Make A New Splash

Dolphins Make A New Splash

This year was slated to be full of promise and high expectations. Both goals have been drastic let-downs, as they need to redefine the mantra,"stronger together".

7
Dolphins Make A New Splash
Sun-Sentinel

Dan Cambell, the 39-year-old former National Football League tight end graduate from Texas A&M, is now the interim head coach of the Miami Dolphins. The 6'5, 265 lb coach has a formidable presence and is much respected within the locker room.

Campbell was a recipient of the Ed Block Courage Award, back in 2005, which is an annual award given to selected NFL players who are voted by their teammates as roles of inspiration, sportsmanship, and courage. Each year, current players on every NFL roster, vote for one person of their team who exemplifies courage.

A team that desperately needs to garnish much-needed intensity. This year was slated to be full of promise and high expectations. Both goals have been drastic let-downs, as they need to redefine the mantra, "stronger together". It's strength has wavered and the tale has proven to be more fishy than genuine at this point. But, the great thing about redirecting a ship that has steered wrong, if veered properly, can keep everyone still on board.

An atmosphere where the practice squad is asked to go light on your starting quarterback. There is something wrong with that picture, your projected franchise quarterback struggling at practice against the 3rd-string defense.

This year, the Dolphins are 25th in total yards per game with an average of 314.8 yards. Their defense is 30th in yards allowed per game with 399.5 yards.

You can also question why Joe Philbin was selected as the head coach?

Philbin was the offensive coordinator for the Green Bay Packers from 2007-2011. Their offense was ranked in the top ten for points scored and total yards during each of those years. Scoring points for the Dolphins are the main dilemma he faced, which is odd why it was never brought into fruition in Miami.

Now, the main signal-caller was Mike McCarthy, the head coach, so how much did Philbin actually make a difference with the offense on the field?

Philbin beat out the Dolphins interim head coach, Todd Bowles (now NY Jets head coach) and Mike McCoy (now, Chargers head coach).

In Miami, Philbin had maintained an almost average record in each of his first three seasons as head coach.
2012:7-9
2013:8-8
2014: 8-8

He has started the 2015 season with a record of 1-3, with three consecutive losses, getting fired after the fourth regular season game. His overall coaching record is 24-28, with a .462 percent winning percentage, and zero playoff appearances.