12 Dolly Parton Quotes You Need In Your Life When You're "Barely Gettin' By"

Dolly Parton is the queen of country music and living life big. From her hair to her personality to the clothes she wears, you could easily describe Dolly as bold. She knows who she is, and she isn't going to change for anyone. Whether it is at school, working 9 to 5, or just life in general, there are times where everyone can feel like they are "barely getting by." Here are 12 quotes from the legend herself to help pick yourself off the floor and keep taking on this world.

​"I always just thought if you see somebody without a smile, give'em yours.​​"

Dolly Parton Giphy

The influence of showing kindness and a smile to someone else can cause a domino effect of kindness all around us. This maybe simple, but a smile goes a long way.

"You'll never do a whole lot unless you're brave enough to try."

Dolly Parton Giphy

Getting out of your comfort zone gives you the launching pad of achieving everything you want. Sometimes that discomfort is needed to keep you moving.

"Find out who you are and do it on purpose."

Laughing Giphy

Self-reflection and understanding who you are is so important in life. Understanding your values, weaknesses, and strengths help you realize your true potential in life.

"The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain!"

Pointing Giphy

To enjoy the good times in life, we also have to experience some downfall along the way. If you are in that period of rain, it will not last forever. You can grab umbrellas in life, whether that is seeking help, talking to a friend, or anything else to wade through the storm.

"If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one."

Laughing Giphy

Who says you have to do life a certain way? If you don't like where you going, forge your own path. It is your life, so you might as well live the life you want to live.

"Don't get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life."

Nine to Five Giphy

Success is something everyone wants in life, but it is so important to also take a step back and enjoy the life you have as well.

"The magic is inside of you.  There ain't no crystal ball."

Happy Dance Giphy

There is magic inside you, and you have to understand that being yourself is the greatest power of all.

"Smile. It increases your face value."

Dolly Giphy

The power of a smile not only can cause a domino effect of others around you, it can make a difference in your attitude and outlook too.

"When someone shows you their true colors, believe them."

Do Not Mess With Dolly Giphy

Whether someone is showing their good or bad side, believe what you see. It can save you a lot of heartache throughout your life.

"They think I'm simpleminded because I seem to be happy.  Why shouldn't I be happy?  I have everything I ever wanted and more.  Maybe I am simpleminded. Maybe that's the key: simple."

Vintage Smile Giphy

Sometimes the best things in life are simple. Enjoy the little things, and hopefully they can bring you happiness in your life, even during the rough patches.

"Storms make trees take deeper roots."

Crying Giphy

During those rough patches, we learn throughout time that we have dig our roots in and go through it. Those tough times can make us stronger in the end.

"It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world."

Dolly Giphy

You aren't always going to fit in, and that is okay. Be yourself, and let your sparkle shine. Sometimes it can be hard, but it is worth it.

Whether Jolene is trying to take your man, your boss won't let you move ahead, or someone is making fun of your coat of many colors, Dolly's here to help you get through it. Dolly Parton has been through both good and bad times, but she has become a strong woman because of it all. Throughout her entire career, she has resonated with audiences that have spanned generations whether in the 1960s or today. Take some advice from the legend herself: have hair that goes all the way up to heaven, never forget the influence kindness can bring, and be yourself.