2019 Is About Doing What's Best For Me

2019 is About Doing What's Best For Me

I'm looking forward to making decisions based on what's going to make me the happiest and healthiest me I can be.

52
https://www.pexels.com/photo/blonde-hair-blur-daylight-environment-214574/

I spent a lot of time considering possible New Year's resolutions this year. I wanted to pick something realistic but would still make me a better person in the long run. One of the biggest obstacles that come with setting a New Year's resolution is that some people make their goals so grand, they're impossible to reach. Having big goals isn't a bad thing, but small goals are easier to achieve and they're a good place to start.

As I thought over some possible resolutions, all of the standard stuff came to mind. Eat healthier, cut out junk food. Try harder in school, read more books. Make new friends, put myself out there and meet new people. Though I could stand a little improvement in all of these areas, my heart wasn't really into any of them.

The more I think about it, the more I feel as though my past resolutions have kept me from doing what I've truly wanted to do. I get so caught up in sticking to a regimen or a diet that I never really enjoy myself, and I eventually give up the resolution. So, that's why in 2019 I'm doing more of what makes me feel good.

Let me be clear, I won't be stuffing my face with fast food all year long and avoiding all social contact. I just won't be forcing myself to do things that I truly don't want to do. That means if I feel like skipping the gym every so often, I will, and I won't feel guilty about it. If I want to stay in by myself one night out of the weekend, I will, and I don't care if I look like a stick in the mud.

In my life, I've spent too much time and effort trying to please other people. As I get older, I'm realizing the only person I need to please is myself. This year is all about becoming happier with myself as an individual and doing whatever I have to do to get myself there. I just want to learn and grow a little bit more every single day and show myself a little bit of love along the way.

Though my resolution isn't vast, and I might not notice a change in myself right away, I feel like a veil of gray cloudiness has already been lifted from me. I just want to enjoy the life I've been given with the people who make my heart feel full.

I've come to learn that it's absolutely fine to be selfish sometimes. You're allowed to put yourself first and go with your own flow. I'm looking forward to making decisions based on what's going to make me the happiest and healthiest me I can be. At the end of the road, that's what's going to make this year stand out from the rest.